1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

XLR for E-Mu 1212m card

Discussion in 'Recording' started by mpdive, Jul 16, 2006.

  1. mpdive

    mpdive Guest

    Hi everyone. I have a E-Mu 1212m card installed in my computer. I am fairly new at recording my music. My question is.. the sound card does not have an XLR connection on it and I am a little confused on what kind of cable is needed for a mic connection. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mike
  2. pr0gr4m

    pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

    I am guessing you are just using the 2 analog inputs. Well you should probably use some sort of mixer or mic preamp between the microphone and the 1212, but if you can't at this point, just get an XLR to 1/4" TRS.

    TRS stands for Tip Ring Sleeve. The plug looks similar to a standard instrument (guitar) cable except it has 2 black rings instead of just one.

    The reason I say you should use a mixer is because a signal from a microphone is very low...a mixer or preamp boosts that signal to something more usable.
  3. mpdive

    mpdive Guest

    Thanks for the reply! That's what happens when you try to figure something out at 3:eek:o AM after just 4 hours sleep. I have had the Cakewalk Home Studio installed in my other computer for two years along with the sound card. I decided to try and figure it out again last night after a two year break from it and I guess I must have had my dummy cap on. I do have a mixer. It is a Behringer UB1202FX. I currently have it hooked up to a pair of powered American Audio PA speakers. Instead of going into the mixer with my aucoustic electric last night I went straight into the sound card. I am laughing at myself right now. Talk about doing something BASSAKWARD! Thanks for the reply. I greatly appreciate your help. On a last note.... On my mixer I have the usual main out,s and also have control room out,s. Does it matter what one,s I run to the sound card, and is one more beneficial than the other? Once I get the hook up correct I can start trying to figure out the Cakewalk program. This loop, paste, cut, groove stuff hurts my head:) I give you guys a lot of credit for your ability to work with this stuff. Thanks again and God Bless. Mike in Cleveland
  4. pr0gr4m

    pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

    For your purposes, it doesn't really matter which outputs you use. The difference might be in how you manage the levels of each. Usually the main outs work using a main fader and the control room probably uses a different knob or fader.

    Just use the Main Outs and you should be fine.
  5. mpdive

    mpdive Guest

    Thanks a lot for your help. I will hook it up correctly tonite and give it a shot. Your expertise is greatly appreciated!
  6. pr0gr4m

    pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

    Thanks for the complement, but let's just call it knowledge or know-how. I'm far from an expert....well I sit next to one, but I'm far from being one.
    :p :D

Share This Page