1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Yamaha HS80's + HS 10W Sub-Connections to a Mackie Big Knob

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by phantomvintagegear, Jan 25, 2011.

1. phantomvintagegear

phantomvintagegear Active Member

I just purchase the Yamaha HS 80's and the matching HS 10W sub.
    It looks like the connections on the back of the sub your able to connect both monitors
    and then go out of the Sub into a stereo channel of the Mackie Big Knob.

The problem with that is, I cant turn the sub off and isolate the speakers.
    If I put the sub into one channel of the big knob and and the speakers in another, then I have control of either turning the sub on or off or turning the speakers on or off. Now thats what I want. But I'm curious am I losing anything sound wise by doing it this way. Or is balanced, balanced, and things will sound the same.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated

Phantom

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

The sub has a built in crossover so the designed bass frequencies are not passed to the regular speakers. If you plug the speakers directly into the Big Knob then they are operating at full range which depending on their specifications and performance is fine. Beware mixing with a sub.

3. phantomvintagegear

phantomvintagegear Active Member

Now you have me curious about mixing with the sub part?
    Suggestions, recommendations?

Phantom

4. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Don't. The best monitors are full range flat response brutaly honest. Sounding "good" is not a concern.

5. dreamgame

dreamgame Active Member

The HS-80 have a low cut switch, that you can use, if your system have a sub.