1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Yamaha O1V96V2 or Another in this range?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Glide, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Glide

Glide Active Member

Could someone that owns one of these give me their thoughts?

I have done a search and there are only two threads on this one. Also, if you know of another DM to consider in this price range please let me know.

I would like to control PT LE with it so I can put the mouse down.

Thanks.

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

What's your priority - mixing or use as a control surface? The 01V96 is top value for a digital mixer at the price. The mic pre-amps are adequate, but you can use external boutique units for the lead channels. As a mixer, it punches well above its weight. The only thing missing that is present in all the models above it in the Yamaha range is built-in automation. However, if you are using PT to mix in the box, that should not be a problem for you.

As a control surface, the 01V96 is a bit clunky, but it works. If you want sophistication in your external control of PT, then maybe the 01V96 is not for you, and a dedicated surface would be better. If your priority is a good mixer that will also do duty as a control surface, the 01V96 would be hard to beat at the price point.

3. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

I don't go any further than fadermovement on the 01v96, which is about the most tedious thing to do with a mouse. For the rest of the functions I don't mind picking up a mouse or use a keyboard shortcut. You could even use it as a front for PT if you have something Digidesign or M-Audio with ADAT i/o.