1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Yamaha PM 1000 as mic pre

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by bluesman714, Apr 18, 2005.

1. bluesman714

bluesman714 Guest

I am in the process of collecting some Yamaha PM 1000 Channel strips & output transformers to convert to stand alone mic pre's.
    I have read that these make really good mic pre's for a pretty afordable price. I plan to have 4 to 8 of these to augment my other pre's & the pre's that are in my board (Soundcraft Spirit Auto). Can anyone tell me if the Yamaha strips are THAT much better than the pre's in my Soundcraft? I plan to use the Yamaha strips primarily for recording drums, I have a Brick & Ditto for bass.
    Also, anyone who has some of the PM 1000 channel strips or output transformers for sale or trade please email me @

bluesman714@yahoo.com
    thanks to all
    Lee/bluesman714

2. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

I used to sell those when they were the latest rage in the late 70s. They were a real boon to the live sound business. Great headroom, a routing matrix that was years ahead of their time, and super reliability, all at a decent price. I sold them to ABC Sports, Gannett Broadcasting, and some very large churches. That's the good news...
    The bad news is ...they were very noisey ( NObody could use them for recording!!) and the EQ was horrible-about as nasally as they get! Both problems were issues with the channels, not the outputs. Once again we get into issues with boards that were the cream-of-the-crop for their generation, but are now only worth what the knobs can bring you. By the way, what are you using for a power supply? Yamaha, as I recall, went out of their way to make that a proprietary component.
    The transformers in it might be worth something IF they are Jensens, but I think that was later with the PM2000 when they went that route. Speaking of which, the output tranny's on those were designed to push +24dBm (12.3 volts RMS), which is certainly not what the strips were pushing. Good Luck!!