1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Yet Another MIC Selection....

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Link555, Sep 16, 2008.

?

What would you choose?

1. RE-20

100.0%
  2. C414B ULS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

Ok here comes another what should I buy question.

I am debating between a deal on used a AKG C414 B-ULS,

And a new RE-20.

I know two totally different mics. I Figure I need more low frequency mics, and general everything mics. I love the RE-20 and used them often in the past. The C414 I have had a chance to play with once or twice, but it was not the ULS version.

Anyway here is most of what I have in the locker:
    1-Neumann U87Ai
    2-Earthworks QTC50’s
    2-AKG C3000’s (well they used to be)
    2-AKG C1000’s
    1- RODE NT2
    1-AT ATM25
    1 AKG D112
    2-SM57
    1-SM58
    2-APEX 460s (well they used to be)

What would you do?

2. taxman

taxman Active Member

RE-20

You already have a great LDC, although very different from the 414. I say get the RE-20 because it is so different from what you have already, and when you get a 414, you will probably want a pair.

3. Link555

Cool thanks, my thoughts are leaning that way too. Any thoughts on how the C414B ULS compares to the XLS?

4. taxman

taxman Active Member

I have the new one (pair), which I understand is quieter.

5. Link555

I have read other places the new version has a slight hyped high end, I have also read that the ULS has a transformer... Just curious, trying to seperate fact from fiction.

6. taxman

taxman Active Member

You should do your homework at the AKG site. The II (with the gold grill) is the version for solo voice (per AKG) that has the hyped high end. I don't think the ULS had a transformer. The schematic is on the AKG site

7. Link555

Hey thanks, it does actually have a 1:1 transformer. No schematic for the C414 B-XL II Though....