1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Your biggest purchase mistake?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Kurt Foster, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

What was the worst decision you ever made purchasing equipment for your studio? Don't hold back, it's time to confess your sins to "Fata Fats"!

2. Eric Best

Eric Best Active Member

Finalizer - ($2200)Bought Waves mastering plug ins 1 year later. (I do still use the A/D converters sometimes though)

DBX 586 - ($800)just doesn't sound good for the price.

Other than those 2 I've done OK.

3. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Distinguished Member

Probably leaving my room in Arkansas. Cost 700K, was built to exacting standards and even though I am floored by how good this is considering, a leaky room still is not as accurate all over as a tight room properly done or one that has room enough to put 40 folks in. Me and my Dog fight for space here with the equipment.

Well that was a gripe, not a purchase..

Purchase is when I was convinced on some mic cable that was "Italian hand wound" that cost out the ying yang and was microphonic as hell, sounded like 50 gauge plastic and could not and would not stay soldered. 3700 dollars in the trash. I cut it, so no return.

You cannot go wrong with "pro.co." or belden.

4. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

Home Page:
    my new dual hairdryer mac g4, I should have waited but no, I had to buy the latest model, those cooling fans are really noisy...stay away from them

5. Kurt Foster

Mario,
    No penance required. Having paid all that cash for a Mac is bad enough! Do you still have a line on new NS10's there? Fats
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tannoy, Dynaudio, Blue Sky, JBL, Earthworks, Westlake, NS 10's :D , Genelec, Hafler, KRK, and PMC
    Those are good. …………………….. Pick one.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

Home Page:
    yes they are expensive but I use digital performer and I'm so used to it I don't feel like trying anything else...about those ns10's let me ask my dealer, i think they still have some, prices have gone up a little though, I paid about 500 bucks for mine but they are totally worth it in my opinion, if you are interested let me know...

7. Kurt Foster

Mario,
    I have mine but several others here might be. You could probably make a little something for yourself for the trouble. Fats

8. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

Home Page:
    it is no trouble at all for me, all I have to do is make a couple of calls and ask if they ship to the US, (I think they do but I'm not sure) that costs me nothing :) ...
    if they do i'd post their e-mail or contact info here and whoever is interested will be dealing with them directly

9. Kurt Foster

Thanks Mario, IF anyone wants a chance to get a new set of NS 10's HERE'S YOUR LAST CHANCE!!! contact Mario, he has a line on these in Mexico City. .... Fats
    P.S. now don't tell me you can't find them anymore! :roll:

10. bluemahoe

bluemahoe Guest

Greetings Fats,

My biggest purchase mistake, was realized 6 months after purchasing Ensoniq Paris III, lauded in 99 by EM as the "editors choice". "Modular Expansion Chassis".. a great name with growth written all over it.

After spending about $8K on hardware/software, I found that paris was being sold to EMU. I thought, "great... I've made a good long term decision, this is going to last". I love working with paris and wanted more so I called to order my third eds1000x (now I'd have 48 real time tracks).

%$*(^()

It was like loosing my girl to that other guy when the Emu sales rep told me, "weve stopped making the hardware, and we will no longer support the software".

Oh and by the way, I run paris on a mac.

11. mayo

mayo Guest

3036 Bought it used - turned it on once and heard so much hiss I thought I was being hit on. I never turned it on again. It is just a rack filler now.

12. cjenrick

cjenrick Active Member

Mackie 1604. Do I need to explain? At least I got it used for 500. The ol lady took it to the pawn shop after we had a little disagrement. We should have disagrements more often! Some other poor slob's got it now.

13. David French

David French Distinguished Member

Forgive me, for I have bought the Alesis Active One MKII monitors. Strained bass and harsh upper-mids. Ick.

14. Presonus Blue Tube pre's, noisiest little things i've ever heard.

but they were really cheap

15. gambit

gambit Active Member

Home Page:
    M-Audio USB Quattro - without doubt the worst audio i/o on the planet. Mobile recording? The only thing it recorded was hours of phonecalls and cries of frustration. Appaling drivers, difficult operation and utterly useless.

(Replaced with a Delta 44, while not great at least it works!)

Great sentence to use next time your in music store returning something. "Not fit for purpose" - they can't argue, at least not in the UK.

Other worst was a "special offer" box set of Logic Gold + EXS24 Sampler - nice software, shame the company stopped producing PC software anymore... but less said about that, the better. :D

16. Tore Nylund

Tore Nylund Guest

Well, there are many bad decisions over the years:Lately:
    Yamaha 01V....Didn't like that sound so I sold it 6 months ago. In the 80's:Fostex R8 ( horrible 8-track). A strange drum machine with pads "The Kit" ( made by MXR, I think...) bought this instead of the first Roland 606 since I thought that it would be more "music" if you could play on the pads yourself :d: .

17. silent_nick

silent_nick Guest

Hey....what's wrong with the Mackie 1604??????

Nick

18. Tnglwd_stu

Tnglwd_stu Guest

Bargain basment s/h ADAT's - just asking for trouble. You literally had to take them apart before every session to get them to work and not eat tapes! Own fault though for buying dodgy s/h gear. :D

19. Gye

Gye Guest

I like my ParisIII. I now have a decent studio for way less than it would have costed about 7 years ago. I am constantly looking to see what I am going to use next but unless something breaks down I am going to be tracking in Paris for quite a while.

I purchased a TC helicon Voice Prism...yikes..it did not sound good at all to me. I was a little shy to by any new TC stuff but I got the TC-MOneXL I think... That thing is nice

20. jdsdj98

jdsdj98 Active Member

Going with Event 20/20's being pushed by a Hafler TA1100 instead of NS10's. I knew right then and there that I'd eventually want to pick up some NS10's, but thought I'd just put it off. Don't know why.

I'm an IDIOT. I HATE it when I do that (think Chris Farley).