1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Your opinions on DM24, Ghost ect. Need mixer of some kind.

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by anonymous, May 11, 2004.

1. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I am putting my studio back together again (kids are older now and I am younger).

I have gone DAW and like it but up until now I was doing a project at a friend's studio and just wanted to do overdubs at my place hence the minimal equipment (Mackie 1404).

I am wanting to start doing tracking at my place now and teh 1404 just doesn't cut it. I need more auxiliauries at least and some descent preamps. I don't have 16 discrete preamps!

I only need to record maximum 16 tracks at once with 12 being the average so I don't need a huge console.

The new Mackies will have a Firewire interface and that interests me but I have grown tired of the Mackie sound. Its not a bad sound its just very sterile to my ears.

The board that seems to be the most interesting to me is Tascam's DM24. It also has a Firewire I/O option. That option would allow me to get rid of my MOTU 828 and my Mackie.

I will be trying the DM24 soon but I wanted to see if others have opinions about it and or any other mixer in that price range or higher like a Soundcraft Ghost.

What about a Ramsa DA7?

I am at a standstill right now. Not wanting to make wrong decision.

Your opinions are valued.
    Thanks.

Jim

2. Clueless

Clueless Guest

If you want something really sweet, get a Midas Venice 240 and your choice of digital interfaces. Here's a http://www.recording.org/postt11167.html of a previous thread. On the digital side, you could expand your MOTU setup, move to Apogee, it's quite a range. But I'd definitely look at what the Venice could do for you.[/url]

3. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Thanks I will check the Midas out. There is a question of budget as well. Apogee would be nice but I need a mixer m ore than quality converters (I couldn't use the Apogees if I don't have a mixer to track first, but I can drool at the thought!).

Jim