1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Your opinions on fidelity

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Chris Perra, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Chris Perra

Chris Perra Active Member

I'm doing a few tests to see what sounds better. In your opinion which do you like better fidelity wise.
    It's not an exact test as it's not the same performance , just looking for opinions on which sounds better.

Attached Files:

2. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

I'm only speaking for myself of course... I personally don't hear enough of a difference between the two to call one "better" than the other.

I hear things about the first sample that I like, but there are certain things about the second one that I like, too... but I don't think that makes one any "better" than the other - they're just slightly different.
    And different isn't always better or worse ... sometimes it means only that: "different".

If my feet were held to the fire, I guess I'd opt for the first sample - there seems to be slightly more presence to the first sample, most noticeably on the HH, ( but which is also more forward in the mix of the first than in the second) but having just said that, I prefer the sound of the kick on the second sample, it sounds "tighter" to me than the first, which sounds a scoodje low-mid "boomy".

But see, now we're entering into the territory of "subjectivity" and personal preference, which could skew the results of the test.

Honestly, Chris, either version is workable. It's not like either one is glaringly bad in fidelity. Can you provide a bit more detail as to what you specifically want us to listen for? For example, I was listening at a fairly modest volume ( around 70 db or so), so if there's "noise" or something, I wasn't able to pick up on it... maybe you could provide us some direction - like for example, what level we should be listening at...?

d.

3. Chris Perra

Nope... just general first impressions.. I hear differences as well. I'm curious as to what other sets of ears and speakers might hear. Sometimes I can talk myself into and out of what I think I hear it's just good to get more global opinion as in the end that's what we all want to serve to a degree.

4. DonnyThompson

I know exactly what you are talking about, Chris.

In order be more helpful to you, after many listening's to each, I think I'm going to choose sample 2. As far as why, I like the "tighter" kick in version 2, and while the hi-hat may not be as prevalent in the mix as it is in sample one, I do like the silk that I hear on the hat on the second sample. The first is more forward, but it's also a bit more "brash" as well, and I've always preferred "silk" over "brash".

But ... I have to follow all of that up, and say they were both very close. I'm definitely pickin' at nits between them, pal. So, I don't know if this helps you or not, but I choose the second sample.

IMHO of course.

-d.

5. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

I like the second one better because things other than the kick are better represented. It's not really a matter of objective fidelity, more a matter of subjective good sound.

It sounds to me like the mic is placed a foot or three in front of the kick, high enough to get other parts of the kit.

6. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

I like the second one better, just more natural to me.. The first one may sound a bit louder but some ringing, from the room or heads just don't appeal to me...
    BUT, in a context of a song, it may be totally different..

Are you gonna tell what differ in the technic employed ? was it the overhead positions ?

7. Chris Perra

There was no difference in technique or gear, the only difference was each take was recorded into different Daws. I should do some more tests with a more muffled snare and making sure I'm consistent with hihat, rims and ride cymbal as the slightest change really effects things alot.

Take 1 I found to be a few db louder than take 2. I wonder if different Daws have different attenuation neither one was clipping, both were set to natural defaults, interesting stuff anyway.

I'm pretty consistent with volume and control so I don't think the volume was from the performances.

8. freightgod

freightgod Active Member

Too bad you couldn't record a sample simultaneously to both DAWS....or can you?

9. Chris Perra

Hmmm I dunno.. I'm not sure if Daws share drivers. Easy to try though,.. Great Idea Freight God

10. Chris Perra

Attached Files:

11. DonnyThompson

Can you tell us which DAW's you used?

Also, the conversion code(s) could have something to do with it.

12. Chris Perra

I don't want to cause a commotion with Daws haha, some people might get freaked out. The difference between the two is only the daws. It's the same inputs from the same soundcard. I'm amazed it worked. I think I want to mix them using the exact same plugins and settings and see what happens.

The only other thing I can think that would make them a bit different is the panning of the toms as they don't have the same display settings I went 3 o clock and 9 o clock for high and low tom , mid tom is centered as is kick, snare, hihat, overheads are 100% left and right.

I don't think the panning would effect the levels as drastically as they are though.

13. DonnyThompson

That ship has already sailed. ;)

14. Chris Perra

Ok, A is Samplitude and B is Cubase. Samplitude is one snappy program it is lightning fast. Cubase is like old and sluggish in comparison to opening up etc.

15. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

I like the first sample in both comparisons...they sound slightly crisper in both instances through my monitors.

16. Chris Perra

If you level match them they sound to me identical. The Samplitude tracks are louder for some reason. Here's some room and bus comp with copied plug ins, no eq etc. Just wide open drums with a room sim and bus comp.

I find Just listening to them they sound different but if I drop the Samplitude volume to match Cubase in Wavelab they sound the same.

Totally wild haha...
    Cubase

Samplitude

Attached Files:

17. DonnyThompson

Level matched, I'm not hearing any difference. Just out of curiosity, have you tried phase/nulling each and comparing the two in each DAW ? That is, importing both identical two mixes into each DAW and then nulling each file...
    Just curious.

audiokid likes this.
  18. Chris Perra

Nope,... I can try that if I can get the first samples to line up.

19. Chris Perra

What's really wild is if I match the first samples,.. and then level match them they don't phase out. Not only that,, switching between each track soloed with a loop over a snare or kick hit there's a pitch difference. I was using the non room 2 daw tracks to do this. That's really interesting.

20. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

I bet one of them got resampled.