Zen Studio

Discussion in 'Press Release Forum' started by audiokid, Mar 20, 2014.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Connectivity
    • 20 analog inputs, 14 analog outputs (includes headphone outs)
    • 12 Class A mic preamps, with phantom power
    • 8 mic/line inputs
    • 4 mic/line/instrument inputs
    • 2 Independently assignable headphone outputs
    • 2 DSUB-25 connector (8 channels I/O)
    • 1 Stereo monitor out
    • 4 ADAT connectors (up to 16 channels I/O)
    • 2 SPDIF RCA connectors (I/O)
    • 2 Inserts over TRS
    • 2 Word Clock BNC connectors (I/O)
    • 1 Low-latency high-bandwidth USB 2.0

Come see us at Musikmesse 2014, hall 5.1, booth C60

Price of the Zen Studio will be $2495. You can pre-order starting today at your favorite Pro Audio dealer. ETA is 8 weeks from now.

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Man, Antelope Audio is kicking serious ass. This looks like the best "mobile ADDA/pre-amps combo" to date. The headphone outs are genius.

3. Paul999

Paul999 Active Member

I definitely have my eye on this companies products. This looks great!

4. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Should USB 2.0 be of any concern whith this much connectivity? I know 3.0 is backwards compatible, but I'd be concerned about 2.0 w all the other high bandwidth options. Otherwise the thing looks sweet! Loving the trend towards digitally controlled pre-amp gain, and dsp processing. I think/hope we're gonna hear plugins start to get really good, as they shift away from native power, to dedicated dsp processing power.

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Ya, I hear ya. My thoughts too. As you most likely know, I have the Orion32 and came close to selling it because it didn't perform USB well under load for me ( one mans load is another mans start up process). When I switched to an RME MADI PCIe card, it is like lightening now. Smooth and proficient. Thats a big plus for this product because I had a few RME ADI-8 QS's which are the top of the food chain for converters and performance imo.

I also tried the 10M for about 5 months with it and 4 other top end converters here and the 10M does absolutely nothing for anything of them. Nothing.
    As expected, when I told the dealer about my findings he said I needed better speakers lol. And that I didn't know what I was doing hehe. At that point I new it was time to cut the educational lesson short and say buy buy to the support of that one. I do however know its a great clock and would be very helpful for those with serious clocking issues. Whether you need an external clock for the Orion or any converter, you'd have to try it. Its a patch for a clocking problem unique to each engineers workflow.
    I know others find it helps the Orion clock however, I'm 100% convinced external clocks are for the dated studios still doing a bunch of unnecessary round trips they shouldn't be doing anymore.
    But, each to his own. If we all get to the finish line smiling with money left over for 18 year old single malt, who cares right. :)
    I'd personally take the change from that lesson though, and buy a few Pulse MEQ-5 and shorten some cable in the studio lol. Now that's synergy in the right direction.

The Zen Studio looks like it will be very useful for mobile work. I'd love to have this. Right now I use the Prism Orpheus for mobile and capture masters and its very stable at 44.1/24 with 100 ft of cable with phantom. Not as good when its pushed to a higher SRC. Thats where these things get the workout. Makes me think MADI again.
    I'd like to compare the two. I bet its pretty nice. Looks really cool too but that handle gets me worried. hehe.:rolleyes:

6. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

At the studious we clock off the d8b, and the apogee interface at the other one, and I haven't noticed any issues regarding clocking, although I've never tested something like the 10m to hear of there's a difference or not. But considering only the interfaces, and the board (one of the studious) are the only digital stuff involved, I never felt the need to. Conversion has always been on my mind more than any of the other digital elements, but they both have apogee, although the apogee card in the mixer, is technology from the early 2000's, so it might be time to make a move soon.

I'd be curious to hear how it stands against the motu 2408mk3. One day when I'm board, I'll record some acoustic guitars and cymbals w each and compare. I guess I'd have to hook up the speakers to the patch bay so I can hear the ad and da of both. Unless there's a more elegant way to test this.

Ideally when I get some money I'd like to just upgrade the whole recording system and use the board just for monitoring. Eq is actually high on my list. I'm on the fence on the 500 series stuff, cuz to me 1/4" and Xlr plung aren't going put of style, I don't like the idea of a piece of equipment being useless unless it in a semi- propriety rack enclosure. Plus I like the ideas that each piece of equipment has it's own power supply. A review in Mix, of a pultec style eq ( which sparks my interest) was not being supplied w enough power in slot 8 of an API rack, and had to be moved to slot one.

The other issue I have, is how do a actually know I'm hearing the difference in converters as opposed to the some of the complete signal path? I'm guessing using the line ins would be a start? Perhaps just record pre recorded music from a CD player? One time I compared the sound directly from my portastudio to the speakers, and then the same thing recorded thru my m audio interface thru the same speakers. I noticed a loss in bottom end, which was the most significant difference.