Skip to main content
Connecting your recording world together...

Hi,
Any ART Pro Audio Users around?
Will you recommended an ART Preamp or Channel Strip ?

Comments

Profile picture for user pcrecord

pcrecord Fri, 01/06/2017 - 05:10

The Tube MP is kind of crappy sounding
Few other Art tube products are ok but not really competing.

But the Pro MPA-II is said to be very good for the price. (I don't own one but know people that like them a lot)
Of course no one will say the MPA-II sounds like UA LA-610 but for many things it does a very good job.
If I had to buy an ART Preamp I think it's the only one that I would consider

mactreouser Fri, 01/06/2017 - 05:32

pcrecord, post: 446356, member: 46460 wrote: The Tube MP is kind of crappy sounding
Few other Art tube products are ok but not really competing.

But the Pro MPA-II is said to be very good for the price. (I don't own one but know people that like them a lot)
Of course no one will say the MPA-II sounds like UA LA-610 but for many things it does a very good job.
If I had to buy an ART Preamp I think it's the only one that I would consider

Thanks! What about ART ProChannel II ?

Profile picture for user pcrecord

pcrecord Fri, 01/06/2017 - 05:49

mactreouser, post: 446357, member: 47968 wrote: Thanks! What about ART ProChannel II ?

Yeah, I forgot about it. The preamps is the same as the MPA II but in a channel strip edition.
I had less feedback on this one but I'm sure it can do a good job too. I'm not sure if the EQ and compression sound good tho. I would go lite with those since you can't go back once recorded.

mactreouser Fri, 01/06/2017 - 06:38

pcrecord, post: 446358, member: 46460 wrote: Yeah, I forgot about it. The preamps is the same as the MPA II but in a channel strip edition.
I had less feedback on this one but I'm sure it can do a good job too. I'm not sure if the EQ and compression sound good tho. I would go lite with those since you can't go back once recorded.

Thanks again, yup I got you... Most of the time a little mild Compression for the first coming punch might need to make the whole recording even/balanced. Home Studio, Space Limit, therefore a channel strip perhaps an good idea to go... right?

In fact, Any recommended TUBE to upgrade for Overall Recording from Vocal, Bass to Guitar?

I just realized that I've got a Behringer MIC2200 (old version)... Thinking of whether TUBE changed will enhance the Preamp Audio Quality? And what's the TUBE recommend from you?

Profile picture for user pcrecord

pcrecord Fri, 01/06/2017 - 07:27

mactreouser, post: 446361, member: 47968 wrote: In fact, Any recommended TUBE to upgrade for Overall Recording from Vocal, Bass to Guitar?

I wouldn't change the tube before working with the included one for a while.
You need to know that tubes make slower preamp and are not the best choice for all instruments specially if transients are important.
I like my LA-610 with Mullard and Genalex tubes on vocal but I mostly go with my Focusrite ISAs for bass and guitar.
If you still want to know more about tube sound characteristics, Tubedepot has a great tool : https://www.tubedepot.com/tube-comparison-tool

mactreouser, post: 446361, member: 47968 wrote: I just realized that I've got a Behringer MIC2200 (old version)... Thinking of whether TUBE changed will enhance the Preamp Audio Quality?

I'm sorry, I doubt changing the tube will enhance the audio quality of this unit, it may sound different but better ?? I don't know. If they put a cheap chinese tube in the factory, maybe a thungsol or a mullard could help.. but in many affordable unit like this, the circuit don't send enough voltage to the tube for the sound to be drasticly changed. I had a DBX Silver 586 for a few years and changing the tubes didn't change much it was either crap or different crap. Changing the unit was the best decision I made back then.

Guelph_Guy Sun, 01/22/2017 - 20:38

mactreouser, post: 446357, member: 47968 wrote:
Thanks! What about ART ProChannel II ?

I have the ART pro channel first generation (model 215) its okay .... quiet, works well .. can't comment on vocals as I've been using it for a bass preamp (no kidding works well)
I find that the concentric rings on the controls tend to strip out ...so it really needs better knobs ... other then this it works fine..

I have other preamps but it's not really my goto ... its not bad though and it was my first pro-sumer level pre-amp ...