forums, blogs, song critique, support & more...

Guitar Doubling

Can anyone tell me why when I record two guitar parts with no changes in amp settings or mic positions and pan them both hard to one side it sounds like shite(single sounds better than double. Double sounds hollow and distant)? If I pan one hard left and then one around 11 o'clock it sounds fine. Is this some kind of phase issue or frequency boosting thing or what? Do you generally want to change mic positions and/or eq settings on the amp when you double? What am I missing here?

Tags

Comments

Zoro Tue, 04/11/2006 - 10:46

Best Regasrds, Zoro. :)

Profile picture for user MadTiger3000

MadTiger3000 Tue, 04/11/2006 - 14:36

Zoro wrote: I am not to sure about it, but I think it could be a Phase issue, try switching the phase on the left track, hope Ms. Remy is watching this post so we can get the rigth answer.

Best Regasrds, Zoro. :)

Second on phase issue.

eonblue Tue, 04/11/2006 - 17:41

Well, the only problem with that is I thought you could only have phase issues when you were using two mics at once.....while in this case I am using the exact same setup twice on two takes. Who knows....at any rate....I would like to fix the issue as I doubling guitar tracks seems fairly integral to a big, thick guitar sound. Thanks.

Randyman... Tue, 04/11/2006 - 18:17

Try re-tuning the guitar between takes. De-tune, and then come back up to pitch. Also, doubled takes usually work better if the 2 sounds differ (different Mic, placement, cabinet, different guitar).

:cool:

Profile picture for user Davedog

Davedog Tue, 04/11/2006 - 19:27

You can have phase issues with any two sets of signal. Could be the speakers are out of phase.....or the outputs' cables....its not just a microphone issue and it sounds like phasing to me the way you are describing the sound and how its relating to pan and such.

Profile picture for user CoyoteTrax

CoyoteTrax Wed, 04/12/2006 - 07:18

I totally agree with the others. It may sound ridiculous but phase issues can occur when doubling tracks. However, it could also just simply be a timing and performance issue where the 2 seperate performances just are not spot on and your timing was off enough to creat such a vast chorusing effect that it sounds like phasing when you've panned the 2 fully hard L and R (an issue that can be remedied by panning 1 track just inside "hard L/R) like you've done). Tighten up the performance a bit and see if that helps or compensate by doing what you've already done.

Most multi-tracking applications have a phase button in the Trackview. If you do, try engaging that feature and listen for a difference to verify a phase issue.

Also, you can greatly reduce your chances of introducing phase issues when doubling tracks by tracking in mono versus stereo.

If you track using a mixer, the mixer could have summing issues that cause phase problems. That happens alot. In that case, tracking in true mono would greatly reduce chances of phase being a problem.

Tommy P. Wed, 04/12/2006 - 15:48

moonbaby wrote: Third on Phase. Or is it who's on third?

Showin yer age there bud!

Phantom_Power Sun, 04/16/2006 - 19:06

yea definately a phase issue. theres boosting and canceling issues. look on your board and search for a phase button. should correct any problems.