Budget condenser mic under $200???

Looking at the ADK's, the AKG Perception series, Studio Projects B1, and the Joe Meek JM37-DP.

Any other ideas? I'm recording vocals only and at some upper ranges so I suppose I need a "brighter" sounding mic right?

I got the MXL57 right now and it sucks ass.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jason

Comments

CoyoteTrax Wed, 12/06/2006 - 15:24
The AT 3035 is a bargain vocal and AC guitar mic for under $200. Having virtually no self-noise is a huge benefit and IMO the 3035 doesn't hype anywhere on the spectrum.

I still use my Oktava MK012 w/the omni cap alot for male vocals. Believe it or not the omni capsule sounds fantastic on vocals.

JLiRD808 Thu, 11/16/2006 - 14:17
A local retailer is really emphasizing the ADK Vienna. Anyone try one of these?

Behringer? I usually hear bad things about them. I was curious about the B-2 though but local shops here don't carry them so I can't listen.

How would u describe the AT2020 and the Samsons in terms of sound?

jonyoung Thu, 11/16/2006 - 16:24
I own a couple of 2020's.... they're very neutral, extremely flat response. I don't necessarily agree that you want an overly bright mic if you're singing upper register stuff. Why hype what's already there? While I think the 2020 is a great mic for the money, in your budget range, check out an AT3035. I run a commercial studio and use this mic on more sources than any other mic I own. You can find them for around $175. BTW, the preamp will have a major impact on the vocal sound you achieve as well.

mark_van_j Thu, 11/16/2006 - 22:04
Yeah the 3 series is insane. I've used the 3031 many times for overheads, choosing over 414's, U87's and such. Can't believe how cheap they are...

Behringer was a more sarcastic remark than anything. I have a B2 (was one of my first mics) and it's completely useless, apart from maybe a 3 foot kick mic or tom. (it's cheap so I don't really care if it gets destroyed) It has unnatural highs and my head hurts if I listen to it... Imagine boosting 13k by 6dB and a Q of like 50. That's your behringer mic. (most of them)

Audio Technica has a name, so you know what you get. Same with AKG. Can't say that I know what they sound like though... Never heard 'em.

Member Sat, 03/10/2007 - 15:50
If your just doing vocals, then either the Vienna or Hamburg is definitely a good choice. Other options would be the MXL V6, very smooth for the money. IMO, the best $200 mic is the CAD M179, very versatile. It would be hard to beat this mic for that amount of $. You could also use it for any other source with excellent results.

JLiRD808 Sun, 03/11/2007 - 15:09
Yeah its headed there soon if he doesn't get over here quick. Or at least to the local Goodwill!

I meant AT3035, I typed AT2025. I edited it already.

I've heard good things about the Perception also. My friend owns the biggest music shop here in HI :mrgreen:. He says they're pretty accurate, not "coloring" the sound in any way good or bad.

He recommended at least the 200 series.