Favorite Drum Sounds

My quick list:
"When the Levee Breaks" Led Zeppelin.
"Synchronicity", "Ghost in the Machine" (entire albums) The Police.
"Roseland NYC" Portishead.
"Drive" REM.
"Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover" Paul Simon.

David

Comments

bobbo Fri, 12/31/2004 - 13:36
drum sound

any pink floyd record
Slipknot's selftitled cd
brand new's newest cd (awesome sound)
Glassjaw's first cd
further seems forever's middle cd "how to start a fire"
underoath's newest cd, i love that snare
ben harper has awesome drum sounds
mars volta has great drums sound with excelent experimentation
CONVERGE

Member Sat, 04/23/2005 - 10:28
i love orange county kits...311, slipknot, limp bizkit, and whatever numetal/screamo bands are using em...funny how mostly corporate kid rockers use them. anyone who has heard and oc kit in person...i am telling you it will change your life. we just laid down our drum tracks and we are one of the first(contemporaneously) to convince our producer to not use triggers on the kick or snare.

i agree with the lakini's juice album...bad ass drums. tool...of course...those big ass 24" kicks sound so nice.

i really like rammstein's snare sound..that is about it there. i think apc's drum tones blow ass..billy isnt that great of a producer imho.

i like the drum tones on load and reload way better than the black album tones.

funny how there are two groups on this post...1. more genuine and 2. compressed to unrecognizable ideals(i consider myself in the 2nd category).

Member Sat, 03/17/2012 - 16:09
Hello Guys, my name is Chris Burnard - mixing engineer located in East London (UK).I wrote a book and i want to share it with you.In this book there are all my secrets i've learned trough all those years of mixing (almost 20) including how i mixed drums on Radiohead "In Rainbows" album.Hope you'll like it, and give me feedback what you think about it!

DOWNLOAD LINK - [[url=http://[/URL]="http://bit.ly/wnqIcF"]ShareCash.Org - Make Money Uploading Files! - _Mixing_Secrets_for__the_small_studio.pdf[/]="http://bit.ly/wnqIcF"]ShareCash.Org - Make Money Uploading Files! - _Mixing_Secrets_for__the_small_studio.pdf[/]

sammyg Tue, 02/19/2008 - 22:44
from a keyboard players perspective! (So I gues my opinion wont count!)

Anything done by Brendan O'brian and his associates.

Rick Rubin and Audioslaves efforts on the 1st album, sorry I dont know who engineered it!

oh nearly forgot, this is funny, recently my brother (drummer) showed me a relatively new cinderella album and I must say the drums sounded huge, upon 1st listen it reminded me of the drum sound on Dream Theatres "awake". We looked it up later and apparantly the same guy worked on it! Sorry cant remember his name! And I think it may have been Kenny Aranoff on drums.

cheers,

SammyG

Member Fri, 01/21/2005 - 20:45
i would have to say the last 2 tool albums. Both a perfect circle albums. Hansons last cd, the deftones last 2 albums, the last blink 182 cd, mudvaynes cds, the last the used album.

The drums on all of these albums have such a great and clear sound, the cleanest i think is the one by the last 2 albums of the used and hanson.

Member Mon, 03/22/2004 - 09:45
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior (entire album)

Unfortunately, that's the only one I can name. Most of the drum sounds I really like I hear on the local non-profit radio during jazz weekend, and I don't catch their names. My favorite sound is that natural and unhyped sound that jazz is famous for.

Oh, I did think of another one I like:

Mannheim Steamroller - Tocatta (from Fresh Aire III)

That's about all I can think of for now.

Member Thu, 10/21/2004 - 17:31
My favorite drummers are Michael Shrieve(Watch Santana's Woodstock '69 performance and you'll be a believer too.) Jimmy Chamberlin(Smashing Pumpkins) always had a really nice snare sound. I can't recall at the moment who RATM's drummer was, but I really liked his use of unusual sounds(cowbells, etc.) I think Led Zeppelin's drummer takes the cake though. He had a heavy-ass sound(mostly due to his two floor toms.)

Member Mon, 06/06/2005 - 18:57
Interesting.. hard to separate great drum performances from great drum sounds but I'll try..

- Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
the drummer was incredibly tight (Bailey?) and the sound so crisp; if you put your head between the speakers its like you're sitting on the throne :roll: I mean stool :shock: ah you know what I mean!

- Manu Katche on Robbie Robertson's self titled album (Robbie Robertson)
Somewhere down the Crazy River just had a wicked atmosphere to it

Peter Gabriel - So
- more Manu Katche? Sledgehammer etc..

- Okay speaking of gabriel we can't leave out Phil Collins classic
toms on - In the Air Tonight
do do doo doo da dum da dum dum dum :D

- and of course Ringo and Martin, very signature sound..
like "I Read the news Today", "Come Together"

- Ralph Humprey on Frank Zappa's Overnight Sensation "Movin' to Montanna Soon - Gonna be a Dental Floss Tycoon"

aahh I've only scratched the surface - those are the oldies! There's lots of recent stuff but some other time..

Tags