Skip to main content

Sound Card trouble

Member for

21 years
I think i broke my soundcard(the one that comes built in the PC). I plugged my guitar into my amp and from the headphone jack of the amp into the PC. I didn't think it would inflict permanent damage but it did. I take this as an oportunity to upgrade my sound card because now mine is hissing alot. Anybody know of a sound card with an XLR jack for a mic and(obviously) an output??? I dont do multitrack so one channel is good enough... anyone know?



Member for

16 years 6 months

cfaalm Sat, 12/30/2006 - 02:12
None of the consumer grade soundcards come with an XLR. Most provide a stereo analog input.

Using the headphone output from your amp is perhaps not a good idea to record your guitar. You'll need a microphone to do that properly. I'd suggest a Shure SM57. If you read around here, you'll know why. It's not expensive and very good, even suitable for vocals, snaredrums: a real workhorse.

Please Google around for soundcards. Look [[url=http://[/URL]="…"]here[/]="…"]here[/] to get an idea of what you need.

Good luck!