WooHoo!!! New mastering studio complete - pics here!

Hey Guys -

It's been a long time coming and I'm happy to finally report that I am finally in my new, permanent (or so I think) home.

(Dead Link Removed)

Upgrades to come in the near future -

1 - Bamboo flooring throughout.
2 - New monitors. I love my NHTs, but the ONE and only issue is - they're a tad forward. I'm quite accustomed to that, but my clients are not. So, I will be getting a larger, more laid back pair soon. (Keeping my eye on B&W 802s, both Matrix and Nautalis versions and I just spotted a pair of Ariel 10Bs in NC for a song and a dance...)

Anyway...I'm excited. Now I just need more clients. Perhaps if people realize that the wine refrigerator and the beer refrigerator are both FULL to capacity and there are endless supplies of candy in those overhead cabinets, I might have to beat away the business!!

J (y)

Comments

Member Mon, 08/21/2006 - 19:18
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks. I may stop by one day. I just finished a record,
so I hope to have some free time now.

Kevin mastered out of ProTools. He had two setups: digital
(Weis+Wave) and analog (I think, Avalon EQ and something
like Tube Tech). He also had 1/4" reel-tape recorder for analog
lovers. Basically, out of ProTools, through whatever, back in
ProTools. The masters were burn with Jam. And Kevin pays
enormous attention to how his rooms sound.

Personally, I don't like very much the all-digital mastering.
At least for my projects. The chain I trully like: out of PT with
24/48 resolution, through Avalon EQ, into Lexicon 20/20
converter/compressor and into some high-end CD recorder.
Monitoring with ProAc (passive) speakers. That works for me.

Enjoy your studio,

Cucco Thu, 01/04/2007 - 09:06
I echo Mike's sentiments! Welcome!

Oh...and I have a few updates (pics coming soon) including a new Pro-Ject turntable, Creek phono preamp and 50" plasma main display!

I've also started working on a few side rooms off of the mastering suite. They will be for the occassional artists that I might decide to record. No big scream bands or anything, just some occassional soloists/guitarists...you know...hokey folk music (like the guy on the staircase with the guitar in Animal House) and maybe some voice overs.

I have two other total rooms - one is around 9'x11' (I think...never really measured, just kinda guessing) and the other will be a vocal booth as it's only about 3' x 5'.

I'm in the process of wiring the rooms right now for individual mic and headphone patch points so my suite looks like an explosion in a spaghetti factory!

Oh well...I love the smell of solder in the morning.

Cheers

J.

MadTiger3000 Fri, 08/18/2006 - 12:11
Cucco wrote: Hey Guys -

(Dead Link Removed)

Upgrades to come in the near future -

1 - Bamboo flooring throughout.

J (y)

Stocked fridges, huh?

Cucco Fri, 08/18/2006 - 12:27
MadTiger3000 wrote: Very impressive setup. After the things you went through with the political BS, I am happy for you.

Stocked fridges, huh?

Thanks!

Only the best for my clients!!! You won't find any Nattie Light in there either. (There's actually a 2001 Chateau Lafitte in the wine fridge!)

Liquor them up and they're always easily pleased!

Cucco Fri, 08/18/2006 - 13:00
Massive Mastering wrote:
(A) Very pretty.

(B) Politiclal B.S. - I missed something. Tell me more!

(C) Is that a custom desk (I'm sure you must have mentioned it somewhere, but I really can't recall)?

A - Thanks... that's my homo-trapped-in-a-hetero showing there. (My wife says that I'm the gayest straight man she's ever met. I take that as a compliment.)

B - Oh, well, there's a lot to it, but the readers digest version -

I moved my studio into a beautiful facility in downtown Fredericksburg into the historical district. Turns out, after me being there for about a month and having thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars sunk into the place, Zoning decided to shut me down because I didn't have 5 off-street parking spaces!!! (It's a historic district - NO ONE has 5 off-street parking spaces.)

C - Yes - custom. The sickening part is, with a generous tip included, the desk set me back $500. It's made entirely out of poplar and has 6 coats of hand-rubbed lacquer on it for a nice, smooth, polished feel to it.

Now I just need more stuff to fill it up with (48 spaces up and down total!)

Although, I'm quite content with the gear I have for the moment. I figure, there's very little I can't do with what I have. All other esoterica is strictly icing on a well-baked cake.

:D

J.

JoeH Fri, 08/18/2006 - 13:12
LOVE IT! Congrats on the new space, Jeremy!

Does that cabinet maker of yours do other work, for people in other cities? I don't need anything YET, but I'll probably do something similar, sooner or later.

As for speakers, don't lock yourself in until you've heard the Lipinski's; the L-505s or the bigger L-707's. I think a 5.1 setup of those would look right purty in your new room! (The colors would match, too! hehehe)

Cucco Fri, 08/18/2006 - 13:23
Hehe...Yup Joe - my guy will be glad to build anything you'd like.

He is a VERY nice and capable guy and downright cheap. He won't ship though, but you're about 3 hours or so from here, so I don't think that would be a problem.

Oh, let me describe the acoustics of the room too...

1 - All floating walls. What's behind the walls is 4" of dead air then concrete (makes cable runs REAL easy!)

2 - Auralex 2" pyramid foam on early reflection spots on the ceiling and on the double exit doors.

3 - OC 705 wrapped in tan burlap behind the monitors and on early reflection points.

4 - OC 705 wrapped in tan burlap and then faced with Auralex 2" Pyramid foam on first reflection points on side walls.

5 - Well-out windows above monitor locations filled with 10" of Roxul, faced with Acoustic tile and then faced again with Auralex 2" Pyramid Foam.

6 - Rear walls - insulated with 4" OC 705 Safing (fluffy, non rigid version of 705) - Acoustics First Double Duty Diffusors (2'x4') mounted on rear wall covered with Guilford of Maine Merlot colored fabric and filled with OC 703 to trap lower frequencies and diffuse higher frequencies.

I'm going to make only a few modifications to the acoustics in the room. There is one point where a standing wave at around 1.2 kHz causes a problem, but given the frequency and amplitude of the problem, it's an EASY fix.

Oh - that lowered part in the room that seems to split it in two - that's a steel beem covered by drywall - the inside face of that (the part facing the monitors) is covered entirely with Auralex to tame any high-frequency reflections that this might cause.

Right now I LOVE the sound of the room. My ONLY gripe is that when the AC is on, there is a low level rumble. However, I have a dual zone AC, so if it causes a problem, I'll just shut this one off and use the one upstairs - I can't hear it at all.

Yay! Excited!!

Cucco Tue, 08/22/2006 - 08:48
Costy wrote:
Personally, I don't like very much the all-digital mastering.
At least for my projects. The chain I trully like: out of PT with
24/48 resolution, through Avalon EQ, into Lexicon 20/20
converter/compressor and into some high-end CD recorder.
Monitoring with ProAc (passive) speakers. That works for me.

Enjoy your studio,

I agree - I prefer analog mastering. I've really enjoyed my Manley and Crane Song stuff. I must admit though, there are some digital things which do rock! The Pultec Pro EQ, Waves L2 and UAD Precision EQ simply rock.

I haven't ever used ProAc stuff, but I do hear it's wonderful.

J.

Member Tue, 08/22/2006 - 09:32

I haven't ever used ProAc stuff, but I do hear it's wonderful.
I like them a lot, and they are as expensive as they are wonderful.

I agree with your point that using EQ in DAW can make sense.
There are some good EQ plugs, and also - if you need to automate
the EQ it's better be in DAW. Who wants these days to turn the nobs
back and forth manually using stop-watch ?
I used Waves L1 and L2. I think, these plugs are alright, but I didn't
like to use them for final compression.
Cheers,

Cucco Fri, 08/18/2006 - 13:43
corrupted wrote: [quote=Cucco]I'm thinking about having him make me a couple bookshelf type racks - 12 space or so. I think he would charge me less than $100 for a pair of them!
Holy *&($(^#... at that rate, you might want to think of going into the furniture reselling business! :lol:
Yeah! No kidding!

Member Fri, 08/18/2006 - 14:10
Cucco wrote: [quote=corrupted][quote=Cucco]I'm thinking about having him make me a couple bookshelf type racks - 12 space or so. I think he would charge me less than $100 for a pair of them!
Yeah! No kidding!

He does great work too! I've seriously thought about it - I mean, sell the racks for $200 plus shipping and still make a killing! Who else out there can get a rack that cheap made out of seriously nice hardwood?!?!?!Seriously.
Even a crappy laminated bookshelf at Target will cost $75... and they don't have rack rails!

Okay, yes, I admit I have some furniture from Target. I wish I knew someone like your woodworking friend. :x

Cucco Sat, 08/26/2006 - 07:36
Well...not that I'm aware of (as far as the SR thing.)

It will auto resample projects that are recorded at other rates while monitoring if necessary. I'm not sure what the advantage would be of sampling to a non-standard (other than pitch shift, which Sequoia does quite well in its Elastic Audio service).

As for the Time Code - it will sync and/or generate MTC, SMTPE, or pretty much any other code you'd like.

As for the price -

They sell it for $3000 b/c suckers like me will pay for it. No, seriously, it's a very nice program. Controversial debate aside regarding the "sound quality" of a DAW, I like the ability to drop waves of different bit and sample rates in one project and monitor on the fly. I REALLY like the 4 point edit process. The crossfades alone are worth the $$.

Besides, Sebastien is a sexy dude! Register your license and you get to see naked pictures of him on the Sequoia forum... :o

Cucco Tue, 08/22/2006 - 15:17
Costy wrote:
I used Waves L1 and L2. I think, these plugs are alright, but I didn't
like to use them for final compression.
Cheers,

I agree - I don't use them for final compression. Instead, I use it to keep my overs in check. I don't like the sound of digital limiters in general. I do all of my limiting through either the Manley or my Kung-Fu'ed ART. I don't worry about hitting my AD real hard though when I use the outboard Waves Limiter - if I have a fast transient that triggers the L2 (at least they say it's an outboard version of the L2 - I like it WAY better), it saves me from a nasty digital clip in the mix.

Cucco Sat, 08/26/2006 - 11:39
Hah...their manual - that would be frightful to download (very big!!)

Half of my software bookshelf is taken up by Magix's manuals!! They're not very well written either (some parts are quite good, others leave a LOT to be desired).

You're close enough to Jeff Sheridan or Ben Maas though - they should be able to get you a loaner. (Ben's the resident expert on Sequoia though - ask him about the SRC and he'd be able to answer for sure - it's just something I never have a need to do.)

J.