Pops Clicks Other Noises

i've been recording with my new Delta1010, but i cannot get rid of these popping and clicking noises in my recordings. i searched through the entire 1010 manual, tried a few things they suggest but still no luck.

things i've tried:

- switching around cables to make sure it's not a bad cable
- disabling video acceleration (suggested by manual)
- no clipping during playback
- sample rate locked via Delta control panel (suggested by manual)
- master clock is set to Int Xtal
- Delta1010 ASIO driver is being used under Cubase SE3

something i haven't tried:
the manual suggested adjusting the audio buffer size, but doesn't say what to adjust it to. any ideas on this?

below are some screenshots of my settings within Cubase and Delta 1010 Control Panel.

any ideas?

Comments

Pro Audio Guest Thu, 02/01/2007 - 04:45
dementedchord wrote: [quote=MightyMilk][quote=dementedchord]strange.... in almost every case your way better off using the drivers written for your particular interface....

i think you may have misunderstood my post. i am using the drivers for my delta1010, any other drivers made my latency go up to 300+ ms.

however, changing the buffer size seems to have fixed my problem.
cool glad it's working... my comment was directed more at aprevious suggestion to use generic windows drivrs....
my mistake, i see what you ment.

Pro Audio Guest Tue, 01/30/2007 - 14:06
MightyMilk wrote:

- switching around cables to make sure it's not a bad cable
- disabling video acceleration (suggested by manual)
- no clipping during playback
- sample rate locked via Delta control panel (suggested by manual)
- master clock is set to Int Xtal
- Delta1010 ASIO driver is being used under Cubase SE3

any ideas?

Just as a test....dont use the ASIO driver. Switch backto the standard Windows driver. I've had the Delta before... we used to get the occasional clicking noise (though it was a rare problem for us) which we usually just 'gate' out because thats really the most practical solution if the problem is only intermittent innature.... but one thing we have always had trouble with is the ASIO driver. That would cause us all kinds of wierd problems.

Pro Audio Guest Tue, 01/30/2007 - 14:19
Mises wrote: [quote=MightyMilk]

- switching around cables to make sure it's not a bad cable
- disabling video acceleration (suggested by manual)
- no clipping during playback
- sample rate locked via Delta control panel (suggested by manual)
- master clock is set to Int Xtal
- Delta1010 ASIO driver is being used under Cubase SE3

any ideas?

thanks for the suggestion, the noise is still there though. also using any other driver, makes my Latency go through the roof. these pops/clicks are too frequent and loud to be noise-gated out.

Pro Audio Guest Tue, 01/30/2007 - 14:25
additional things i forgot to mention i tried.

mixer i'm using is a VLZ1604

tried other inputs on the mixer.
- i go out the inserts of the mixer to the recorder, to avoid going through the extra signal chain within the mixer

for right now, i sent the Delta1010's Output 1/2 directly to the monitors to ensure it wasn't coming through the mixer when i come back to monitor.

Pro Audio Guest Tue, 01/30/2007 - 15:10
i seemed to have possibly answered my own question. i decided to be adventurous and bump up the Buffer size from 256 to 384. the clicking and popping seems to be gone on anyting new i record, only pre-recordered material from before i made the changes seems to still have the noises.

i know doing this, increases my latency a little bit, in my case from around 6.4 to about 9.4 .

is this still reasonable latency? i assume that's a-ok? will i need to bump this up again if i start recording multipul tracks at a time (for ex: 8 mics on a drum kit)?

David French Mon, 02/05/2007 - 20:18
Just about everything I can think of has already been tried, save for possiobly setting the machine up as a 'Standard PC' (during installation), and making sure that the card has its own interrupt. Heck, maybe you should try moving the card to a different slot? It's worth a shot, if you haven't tried it already.

Latest drivers, right?

Unless your computer is a dinosaur, buffer size shouldn't be an issue; you should definitely be able to get away with the settings you've shown in your images.

Pro Audio Guest Tue, 01/30/2007 - 18:53
dementedchord wrote: strange.... in almost every case your way better off using the drivers written for your particular interface....

however, changing the buffer size seems to have fixed my problem.

Pro Audio Guest Tue, 02/06/2007 - 06:30
Abit IC7-G Motherboard (Intel 875P Chipset)
Intel 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 (800FSB/Northwood)
ATI Radeon x850 XT Plat. Ed. (256MB)
WD 240gig SATA150(7,200rpm 16mb cache) x2
Cosair TwinX1024-3200C2PT (2Gigs)
Plextor 16x/48x DVD+-RW SATA150
Thermaltake XaserIII Mid-Tower
ViewSonic 19" VP191b LCD Monitor

i'm gonna try pulling some other hardware out. i was just disabling sound blaster audigy, maybe i'll just completely remove it. i'll try moving stuff around too.

in any case, thanks for everyones help, i posted this on cubase forums too, i'm sure i'll figure it out, just a matter of working with it.

Pro Audio Guest Tue, 02/06/2007 - 06:42
*edit*: after going back and checking all the suggestions listed here, i'm no longer getting, clicks pops or any other un-necessary noises in my recordings. i've only had a chance to record some guitar and bass, but i recorded a couple minutes of each just to be safe.

my friend is headed over later today, to start recording and hopefully things stay the way they are. thanks again for everyones help, something in this post definitely has solved the problem.

Pro Audio Guest Fri, 02/02/2007 - 19:46
i still seem to be getting artificial noises while recording and play back. i feel like i must have something not set right with my Sync settings.

right now i'm using an M-Audio Delta 1010 and Cubase SE3.

i've looked through both manuals, i'm just not sure what to do. here are some screen shots of my current settings within Cubase and Delta1010 control panel.

hueseph Fri, 02/02/2007 - 21:22

Pro Audio Guest Fri, 02/02/2007 - 21:39
hueseph wrote: So are you actually making use of system link? If not, disable it. With all honesty I haven't heard of anyone making successful use of system link. I'm sure there's someone out there, but I haven't met him. If your system is reasonably up to date, there's no reason you really need to use it anyway.

after looking at my screenshot, i don't think "system link" is being used. the active box is not checked.

Pro Audio Guest Fri, 02/02/2007 - 22:26
hueseph wrote: Have you tried switching cables since you fixed the clicks and pops thing. Just a guess, but that's starting to sound like interference now. Do you have a wireless network card? They can cause problems.

i'll try disabling my wireless card. i'm pretty sure it's non of the cables, i've tried many different kinds, and this problem sounds digital, if that makes any sense.