minor chords attract teenagers - what else ?

Some great topics happening here.

I've been told that teenagers seem to like songs with minor chords. When I think back, I think I was like that too. Maybe these are the years we start thinking about life more. Minor chords have a mystery to them... yes?

Are there other interesting sounds or progressions that are either age or gender related ?

Comments

Cucco Wed, 02/07/2007 - 13:38
aqualand666 wrote: i was going along with what that other douchebag said, although when i think of bach i think of minuet in G major.

Uhhh...Aquafresh...seriously. Referring to folks as douchebags rather unprovoked, this is the kind of behavior you were warned about.

Besides, Demented was speaking (or typing) in a SARCASTIC manner. I would expect that you of all people would understand sarcasm.

PS -
Is that Klavier only well-tempered if major??

MadTiger3000 Wed, 02/07/2007 - 15:21
Cucco wrote:

PS -
Is that Klavier only well-tempered if major??

I had to find out!!!

From http://www.jimloy.com/physics/scale.htm :

Well tempering:

Near the beginning of the 18th Century, "well tempering" became popular. This was a little more complicated, in a way. But, every key became usable. And there were no wolves. There were several "well tempering" tuning schemes. Essentially, all octaves were pure. Keys related to C had nearly pure major thirds and fifths. Keys distant from C had much less pure sounds, but were not too bad. And the sequence, from a pure C triad to the impure distant triads, was gradual.

None of the scales or chords sounded bad. In fact every major and minor key sounded different. C sounded placid and fairly uninteresting. The more distant keys sounded more interesting. You might call some keys harsh, or agitated, or tense. And so, music could be written to suit the mood (or color) of each key.

Bach wrote the Well-Tempered Klavier, 48 prelude and fugues, two in each of the 12 major and 12 minor keys.

dementedchord Wed, 02/07/2007 - 15:31
aqualand666 wrote:
beethoven did use minor tonalities. bach didn't..

well actually bach did as well... sorry i cant find my analysis book of all the chorales from theory 101 or i could give you just a couple of instances...

dont you find it incredebly hard to sound erudite whilst not knowing of what you speak???

Pro Audio Guest Wed, 02/07/2007 - 20:47
damn those are some cute ass little fun facts, didn't suspect the tuning of musical instruments to be embedded within the golden ratio/spiral as well!

how did pythagoreas do this, i thought fixed tuning instruments were barely around by the medieval period? quite interesting the mathematical representation of the tones. and the development of accidentals thereof. i'm sure you're aware that further solidification of accidentals were created out of avoidance for the tritone in gregorian church music.

cucco, when i ask questions its not like you just asked this one. you want to prove you know a thing or two about music theory? then reflect it on an instrument. too many big music theory buffs can express so little of what they know on their instrument that its not even funny. if this isn't descriptive of you then i am sorry. besides its not even as if the historical aspects of the development of music theory are any more than looking up a quick little fact sheet like this guy just did.

i thought you weren't about spec sheets? express these things on your instrument in a musically melodic fashion and discuss the psychoacoustics of the matter, hell you should be good at that. maybe just not so good at the reflective playing part? is that why you cling to institutions like music theory and engineering so tightly?

sorry about being wrong about what keys bach used. like i said i think of minuet in G and light and fluffy baroque music when i think of him, but yeah obviously he probably didn't play in strictly one manner. i'm not mr. joe classical man, and i'm sure as hell not trying to be. i can however play the 5th caprice by pagianini, i'll record it some time. actually the only classical things that i play are minuet in g, caprice, and dee - randy rhoads, that's about it, a few other licks here and there. it's not that i can't though. what do you play?

i would say that the beatles - black bird, and dee are both direct allusions to bach. and i believe they are both major and in the key of G. go figure.

p.s. Li Jie kicks ass

Pro Audio Guest Wed, 02/07/2007 - 22:16
I've been told that teenagers seem to like songs with minor chords.

Personally I've been told a lot of things, when I was a teenager I was told that there were UFOs and big foot still stomped in the northwest. Kid's also like candy, sex, drugs, rock, roll, tatooes, body piercing, you name it, basically they have a perpensity for anything in bad taste. That's why they are kids, it comes with the territory. And ah, I don't make this stuff up, it's just the rules of the universe, if you want proof just wait a couple years you get all you need.
Anyway, whether kids like minor or major chords is a moot point, the real question you should be asking yourselfs is....."why am I thinking about this, and why don't I have better things in life to contemplate?"....and now my son, "go forth and mulitply" is not the edvice you should be concerned with or heeding at this point in your life until you have gotten' past this current minor issue, ah no poun intended !

hueseph Thu, 02/08/2007 - 15:38
aqualand666 wrote: i can however play the 5th caprice by pagianini, i'll record it some time.

Dude! That would be truly impressive. I personally would love to hear that and since it is only one piece, I think it would be fitting that you post it. You don't even have to do the whole thing. If you could cover the first two minutes, that would be more than impressive. It seems you have the gear to record it but even if it's not set up, a webcam version would do. We don't need to see your face. Youtube would work. I've bookmarked the search for Paganini 5th caprice. Just say when.

Cucco Thu, 02/08/2007 - 20:02
aqualand666 wrote:

Okay....

You're welcome to pick on my engineering skills or call me a hack in that department all you'd like. I have no fragility to my engineering ego.

But........
let me make this clear.

Don't fuck with my horn playing.

If you would like to hear me perform and "apply" some of that music theory and "reflective playing" as you put it, you are welcome to attend ANY of the concerts that I perform in the DC metropolitan area. Hell, I'll pay your admission.

Up until this point, I have remained civil. Don't piss me off.

PS -
Sorry Dave...feel free to edit me if you'd like. :oops:

Pro Audio Guest Fri, 02/09/2007 - 00:02
someone wrote (can't remeber now who)
Joe:

You shouldn't bite the hand that provides your forum. I think the topic's intent was to promote conversation. Which it has.

Well it certainly promote some (conversation) from me.......mission accomplished, just happy to do my part.

And I never bite anything unless I intend to eat it, and I would offer that up as advice, but I think it's pretty much common sense to most people by now.

And personally I haven't played a minor chord since I left puberty, but I wouldn't recommend that for everyone.
I heard diminished chords are for old people. Majors are for college students, and augmenteds are for the demented, but that is all just speculation and theory on my part presently.
I once wrote a song and offered a $10,000 reward for any person that could find the correct chord that would turn it into a master piece, to date no one has found the 'missing chord' and the work is still unpublished, I suspect it will be found someday after I am dead and I will be put in the same league as Beethoven or Frank Zappa. But I'm not going to wait around for that to happen. So I have now set about on a new challenge, I have written an A major chord and I am offering a $10,000 reward for anyone who can come up with a million dollar melody. Of course I will have to pay you after I sell the song for a million, to prove that indeed you did write a million dollar melody. I know that doesn't seem right, but those are the rules.
And of course only a fool couldn't guess why kids like minor chords....................because, because, altogether now because THEY ARE MINORS...get it, it's a joke.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

dementedchord Fri, 02/09/2007 - 14:31
"I once wrote a song and offered a $10,000 reward for any person that could find the correct chord that would turn it into a master piece, to date no one has found the 'missing chord' and the work is still unpublished"

well perhaps it was because the chord was already there... just poorly executed or perhaps the other chords were wrong....

JoeH Thu, 02/15/2007 - 21:30

As for well-tempered tuning, it's something any musician (2-minute wonders or not) should know about....it's about as basic a theory/revelation of the ages as the printing press was, or the invention of the electric light bulb.

Thankfully, the Water-boy is gone, and soon to be forgotten....good riddance, as well.

Cucco Fri, 02/16/2007 - 06:30
JoeH wrote: FWIW: Most power chords have no obvious third interval in them....they're usually just root and fifth and octaves, all to get that proper "sound". (This way, it's neither major nor minor; the overtones rack up to something almost in-between, and combined with distortion, it's why they sound as ballsy as they do.)
Thank you Aaron Copland for popularizing the Quintal and Quartal harmonies so sought after by the likes of Poison, AC/DC, and Def Lepard! :lol:

JoeH wrote:

Amen Joe! Preach on...

A musician not knowing the foudnations of music as presented to us by JS Bach is like a Christian not learning about Jesus Christ! (Not to equate music to a religion, nor to impose any such religion as that's not my bag baby...)

MadTiger3000 Fri, 02/16/2007 - 09:16

I would say that all power chords have no third. If it has a third, then it is just a good old fashioned major or minor triad. Good point about the overtone build-up. I learned that power chords were ambiguous in quality, and this explains why.

JoeH wrote:

He was a Mr. Mxylplk if ever there was one.

Pro Audio Guest Fri, 02/16/2007 - 10:25
cuccho wrote :

You might want to rethink that statement. Some of the most influencial musicians of our time, we're complete void of music theory. Who can show use their music prowess and name some ?

Tags