Cheating Pro-tools M powered?

I am a cubase sx3 user, and obtained the Pro-tools m powered software from a competition. I really want to try it, but i don't want to spend 1300 dollars on a m-audio project mix console just to run the software. I use a firepod as an interface, and was wondering if i can link my firepod to an m-audio firewire interface, so i dont have to spend an extra 1000 dollars to try pro-tools.

any answers?

Comments

RemyRAD Sun, 02/18/2007 - 21:06
BRH, yes the academic bundle looks tasty, time code and all but should I want to use it for my paid work, I'm not sure if the academic version is considered legal for that purpose? Of course it doesn't hurt to ask, which is why I have already put an e-mail into Digi design.

Didshe design. Of course.
Ms. Remy Ann David

15 years 1 month

BRH Thu, 02/15/2007 - 09:03
M-Audio is now selling M-Powered ProTools Academic for $149. Includes iLok AND TimeCode Option, plus Digitranslater.

Also needs a qualified M-audio interface for it.
TC plus DigiTranslater.... this is an option that cost $1295 for PTLE users. Now, if M-Audio only would make a PCIe card with an ADAT connection, I'd be most happy.
I'm a long time user/supporter of PT, but I now feel they need to "Give It UP" and let people use the interface of their choice.

Apple is about to unleash something. They have hooked up with Apogee and have an interface with PCIe bridge card .... they are claiming 1.6ms delay.

RemyRAD Thu, 02/01/2007 - 11:36
Oh? Right. he he sorry. What don't I understand?? Just about everything I guess?

Yes, but by the same standpoint, the Fire Pod, even though it comes with software that he doesn't much like using, it could at least be used for the initial 8 input tracking session? Then, that M-Audio USB device, of your choosing, since it is so inexpensive, could be used in its single or 2 input configuration for overdubs, mixing and monitoring through ProTools after importing the initial wave files from the tracking session.

Conversely, purchasing more than 1 of those, they are inexpensive enough, one could probably be able to track as many inputs as they have USB 2.0 inputs providing 2 inputs from each one of those devices. I have 4 just on my laptop. I've actually thought about purchasing a couple of their line level USB devices for my laptop? Since I don't do ProTools, this would be an inexpensive way for me to be able to tracking and mix, up to 8 line inputs being fed from my API and Neve outboard Mike preamps if I wanted to stay purely within ProTools.

Confusingly obvious, obviously confused
Ms. Remy Ann David

RemyRAD Thu, 02/15/2007 - 20:07
David this is really funny. I just purchased an M-audio "Transit" 2 Channel USB device, just so I would have something that was ProTools capable. It was only $90 US and is ProTools compatible but doesn't include it. It came with Abelton Live 5, which I couldn't get to load on the HP laptop? Go figure? Guess I will have to contact Digi-Resign about that?

It's actually a higher resolution unit than the Mbox series of units, which don't do anything other than 48kHz. It's 24-bit 96kHz but then they went and put those lousy 1/8" stereo phono plugs on the damn thing! WTF?? So it will be fine to use with my Neve and/or API portable preamps.....if those lousy 1/8" phono plugs work? Now to pick up a copy of ProTools for M-box. I need to learn that frigin' software since I never purchased anything more than a AudioMedia III card back in 1996.

Simply stupid
Ms. Remy Ann David

hueseph Thu, 02/15/2007 - 20:30
cfaalm wrote: So how do you wire a Yamaha 01v96 into ProTools? It has a remote layer to control it, so I guess there must be some way.

Are you meaning to use this simply as a control surface? There should be a way. I imagine you would need to set it up as a midi control surface. You won't be able to use the inputs at all for ProTools unless you go from the direct outs or ADAT out if it has it, into a digi interface or even an 002 or Mbox 2 Pro.

Either way you need some sort of Digi device in order to run ProTools.

Member Thu, 02/15/2007 - 21:01
If you'd ever tried Pro Tools M-Powered (coming from Cubase SX, Sonar, Logic,Samplitude etc) you would very quickly realize that it about as exciting as standing out on a cold day watching paint dry on a great big white wall.

I mean, why would you want to. Pro Tools MIDI sucks, it's audio tracks are very limited, unless you get a 'power' pack or a 'bomb pack' (preferably put the protools interfac and software in the bomb pack, stand a safe distance away and hit the detonator...) the inbuilt fx are OK but lacking in quantity, no real time processing of fx, terrible dreary GUI, I could go on and on....

The only redeeming and valuable feature of PTLE or M-Powered is the ability to open their projects in a 'proper' ProTools environment such as the HD version costing many thousands run by (too many) studios.

15 years 1 month

BRH Fri, 02/16/2007 - 08:57
RemyRadHoney.........Just buy the M-Powered Academic from M-Audio. The M-Powered is the same software as the Mbox PTLE from Digi, but you need M-audio hardware with it. You love hardware!? Then update to 7.3
PITA...... Comes with TC and OMF for $149 includes iLok. Transit is a qualified interface.

RemyRAD Tue, 02/20/2007 - 18:13
Charles, since I will be looking for some other viable employment in the not-too-distant future, I was thinking getting a little more familiar with ProTools would not be a bad thing? I realize the "M-Powered" version, is likely anything but. I was surprised to find out that it does some filtering and dynamics in real-time. I guess until you max out the CPU? Which probably doesn't take long on a laptop. But for just getting familiar with the GUI and the way in which one must work with the program, for me, it's still LearningTools for ProTools or am I on the wrong track?? Albeit quite a pun, I'm serious. My intention is not multilayered, loop based hip-hop type production but more along the lines of just another multitrack recorder for production for 4 to 8 tracks on location and/or simple post, especially if other audio or video posts should be involved at other facilities?? I figured for under a couple hundred dollars, I would have a ProTools toy?

ProTools challenged
Ms. Remy Ann David

CharlesDayton Fri, 02/23/2007 - 21:31
Remy, if you are looking at it as a learning tool, without the big expense, it could be what you are looking for. I do think, that with your experience and knowledge, you will become quickly frustrated with the limits of that platform. I could be talking out my hat here, because I don't have that much experience with the LE version of PT. With the advent of the Intel Macs, the RTAS plugs may function as well as the TDM stuff. I don't even know if the DV toolkit works with the M-powered versions of PT. You'll want that if you are planning to use it for post. I'm not going to say that PT is the "best" platform for post, but it is something of a standard out here in LALA land. If portable is not a requirement, maybe an older Mix system, with a USD? I used a Mix3 system for years, and was happy with it.

Member Sat, 02/24/2007 - 12:50
How 'bout if someone only needs to import PT files for the purpose of exporting to the platform of his choice as .wav files? I run Samplitude on PC and I get a decent number of people wanting to hand me bedroom PT files.

What's the least I need to put out to accomplish this?

Ken

hueseph Sat, 02/24/2007 - 14:39
For less than the price of a M-Audio device and ProTools M-Powered you can buy an Mbox 2 Mini with ProTools LE included. About $300US

(Dead Link Removed)