Patchbay Layout

Hi

Ive been working on a layout for my first patchbay. Its gonna be a switchcraft or redco with dsub connectors.
Main interfaces is the Zed R16 mixer and the RME UFX. My "studio" is one room only, in my livingroom so its basically just me messing around playing, recording and mixing. Im sharing my layout here in case anyone wants to take a look at it and share some feedback. It would be nice to have other peoples opinion and advice as i have not much experience with patchbays.

Comments

djmukilteo Mon, 04/06/2015 - 14:41

Just some thoughts/questions. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with even better assessment of your layout..:cool:

Earthless Tue, 04/07/2015 - 15:55

djmukilteo, post: 427666, member: 35891 wrote: Hey there Earthless, just saw this on the other thread.....I think that looks like a good start, but I'm not completely clear on all your equipment you have and how it will all be used still. There can be certain things that don't need to be "patched" and just left connected to certain devices all the time. I was thinking about the ZED's 16 "insert" send/return points? That could be something that you want on a patchbay....I suppose if you wanted to change things over to the RME that works and doing both would add even more patch points and it looks like you have all your bases covered for inputs and outputs.

I had to skip the 16 inserts as well as effect send/return on both preamps and also preamp line inputs, along with some IO on the UFX.
So its far from perfect, but as you say hopefully a good start :)

Earthless Tue, 04/07/2015 - 15:57

Boswell, post: 427667, member: 29034 wrote: Looks reasonable to me, but you could push these things around for days while not getting any mixing done.

Im not sure if i get what youre saying, but it sounds like a warning :eek:
Somethings that should be different ?

audiokid Tue, 04/07/2015 - 18:18

[GALLERY=media, 393]Audio patchbays (patch bays) in the project and home recording studio (v1) - YouTube by audiokid posted Mar 30, 2015 at 3:25 PM[/GALLERY]

Boswell Wed, 04/08/2015 - 02:35

Earthless, post: 427741, member: 48963 wrote: Im not sure if i get what youre saying, but it sounds like a warning :eek:
Somethings that should be different ?

No, not a warning of any sort ... just poking a bit of fun at how time-consuming setting up a patchbay can be.

Boswell Wed, 04/08/2015 - 03:39

Somethings that should be different ?

Earthless Thu, 04/09/2015 - 14:58

Have been thinking about monitoring options here. I have two main outs that i want to use. Main out from the Zed R16 and XLR outputs 1 and 2 on the UFX. My monitors are active stereo pair and has xlr inputs (A77x). Right now monitors are connected to UFX and its fine as long as i have my computer on, but when using only the R16 without computer i obviously need to listen to the main outs. Should i connect all outputs to the patchbay and switch between them manually as i like?

Boswell Thu, 04/09/2015 - 15:52

Earthless Fri, 04/10/2015 - 03:03

Boswell, post: 427830, member: 29034 wrote: When I'm using a similar setup to yours, I usually take my computer outputs (from the UFX in your case) into a pair of the stereo jack inputs on the Zed R16 and my monitors from the Zed's main outs, then there's no patch cable changing needed.

When you say you "take your computer outputs into a pair of the stereo jack inputs...", is this done via a patchbay?

Boswell Fri, 04/10/2015 - 04:43

No, go direct from the UFX outputs to one of the Zed-R16 stereo inputs (probably ST3 or ST4). You then have push-button control of whether the computer outputs are sent through to the monitors. If you use a little bit of care to match the levels, you can do instant comparisons between the generated analog mix and the computer replay.

Earthless Fri, 04/10/2015 - 08:57

Got it(y) The UFX has XLR on outputs 1 and 2 which i suppose are meant for monitoring. So in this case i will need a XLR (from ufx) to TRS (into zed ) cable, right?
Does it actually make any difference whether the cable has XLR to XLR connectors or TRS to XLR ? Soundwise its the same result right ?

Boswell Fri, 04/10/2015 - 09:55

You need a pair of XLR(F) to TRS plug cables. The balanced stereo inputs on the Zed R16 are TRS jacks only. If you wanted to, you could use jack outputs on the UFX, when a pair of TRS-TRS leads would be needed. It's just a matter of what you patch in TotalMix.

Earthless Fri, 04/10/2015 - 15:16

Ok, seems like a good idea to use stereo input 3 or 4 on the R16 like you said. I will try this.

The thing that confuses me most at the moment is that if i get a 96point patchbay with db25 connectors on the rear i will need
breakout cables with 8 jacks or xlr. So i have been trying to figure out if i can use trs jacks on the in and out of the gibson echoplex and mesa boogie studio preamp. Theres nothing in the manuals on this. And if i understand this correctly its ok to use a guitar preamp like the studio pre or avid 11R connected to the patchbay. But mic preamps with phantom power should be avoided right?