Start a topic JOIN NOW!

Bad vocal tracking in my "treated" room

1 year 2 months
HI EVERYONE ,

I am not satisfied with vocal tracking , it seems that I sing in a box and the voice seems as muffled. So if someone can refer me to a solution it would be great because this stiff turn me crazy.

So I take my shots via SM7B + FetHead + mogami cable >> preamp "UA610" unison simulation in "APOLLO TWIN" in thunderbolt connection to my mac MBP 2012 SSD AND 16 GB of RAM.

I chose a spot in a corner where the bass is not very present.

as the acoustic treatment I impS VERY ortance I treated my room which is (3.4m X 3.3m X 2.7m) with DIY panels on the walls and ceiling "cloud". I put you below the acoustic measurements of the room.

My question is whether it comes from my sm7B (it would surprise me because with the rt NT1A it is the same), my apollo or my acoustics. (Besides, is a piece treated for mixing suitable for recording ???)

Attached files

Comments

1 year 2 months

az35000 Thu, 07/02/2020 - 02:25
Hi every one , I havent been here these days cause my uncle just passed away.

so thanks for all your support i will take into account all your advices and remarks .

pcrecord, post: 464708, member: 46460 wrote: Are you sure you might not like your voice like 90% of signers and you're trying to make it sound like someone else..
Natural reason is that we normaly hear our voice through bones inside our head and the mic can't.. the mic hears what others hear.

I haven't any problem with how the voice technically sounds . but with how my mic capture some low frequencies and some reflections.

as paulears and pcrecord said maybe its the wrong combinaison voice / room/ mic.

1 year 2 months

az35000 Mon, 06/22/2020 - 09:14
Boswell, post: 464661, member: 29034 wrote: I don't like the look of what's going on around 70Hz.

Could you post a sample of your vocal tracking (just the vocal, not the backing track)?

this is a sample .

does ,this 70hz issue, have an effect on my muffled voice ??

[MEDIA=audio]https://recording.org/att…
Attached files test vox.mp3 (219.4 KB)

1 year 2 months

az35000 Mon, 06/22/2020 - 12:43
Boswell, post: 464663, member: 29034 wrote: Well, that sounds quite acceptable - not what I would call "muffled". Perhaps your monitoring is not telling you the truth?
oh , it is with my monitoring that I make the measurements and then I compare to pro takes in studio and the voice seems like veiled at home.

Boswell Mon, 06/22/2020 - 15:31

Now that I've had a chance to analyse your vocal sample, I see no evidence of a huge 50Hz peak. However, there is other non-Gaussian noise that you should turn your attention to once you have sorted out the current problem.

How are you making the comparisons with the studio recordings of your voice? Are you hearing them both on the same equipment in the same acoustic space. By this, I mean, for example, you could be taking a recording made in your room on your equipment to the studio, and listening to it put against a recording of the same passage done in the studio. This would compare your gear with the studio's gear, and your room's acoustic against the studio's acoustic. It would not be a proper comparison if you came back from the studio with a memory of what your voice sounded there and simply decided it was not the same as when you listened to your home studio recordings.

1 year 2 months

az35000 Mon, 06/22/2020 - 15:59
Boswell, post: 464669, member: 29034 wrote: There's something strange about your measurement responses. The waterfall plot shows a huge fall-off at around 100Hz, then a big peak at 50Hz. I'm not convinced that the peak is a real room response - I have a feeling that it could be mains hum getting into the measurement.

Thanks for the time you take to answer and analyze my problem .

-Very interesting your remark on the 50 and 100 Hz. I made measurements for the sound card (apollo twin) that I put here.
do you notice a problem with the soundcard in this frequency range?

-What do you mean by non-Gaussian noise that i should turn attention on?

-For the comparison with the studio recordings , I just compare mines with recording vocal I download from product page on thomann or youtube. they sound upfront compared to mine.
Attached files

Kurt Foster Mon, 06/22/2020 - 19:50
az35000, post: 464668, member: 51960 wrote: I will ,
but I was hoping to improve the acoustics of this room for recording too.

1 year 2 months

az35000 Tue, 06/23/2020 - 08:48
Kurt Foster, post: 464671, member: 7836 wrote: what can you do? it's already deader than :censored: ! the room is too small. all you can do is put up absorption. the minute you put up something to add some liveliness it's only gonna sound like :censored: in a different way. at least that's how i see it.

thanks for your feedback I will take it in consideration .

kmetal Wed, 06/24/2020 - 13:08

If you do tuned traps like Helmholtz/slat resonators, or perforated panel traps, you can maintain some mid/hf energy in the room.

You can always use a hpf on the mic, pre, or in the mix.

1 year 2 months

az35000 Wed, 06/24/2020 - 14:19
First of all thanks for your support.

kmetal, post: 464676, member: 37533 wrote: If the decay of the 50hz sustains evenly for a a long time its likely mains hum. Otherwise its probably a 50hz room mode being excited and its harmonic nulling at 100hz.

-a 50hz hum , am Is upposed to hear it in the headphones when I record? because there I hear nothing except the veiled voice.-_

-Yes I use a HPF on pre and mix. sometimes on the sm7B too .

kmetal, post: 464676, member: 37533 wrote: You can improve the room by adding bass trapping. Corners are good locations. The perimeter around the ceiling where the wall and ceiling meet is a good place. As is the rear wall, and floor to ceiling corners.

-I will take that in consideration , but people tell me that my room is dead and
I am scared to tadd other basstrap and get the room more dead.

paulears Wed, 06/24/2020 - 14:42

1 year 2 months

az35000 Wed, 06/24/2020 - 15:58
paulears, post: 464680, member: 47782 wrote: A really good test for any space is to run a sweep tone - 20Hz to 20KHz through your monitoring system, and use a iPhone app to see the volume as the sweep progresses. Usually you don't even need the app, you can hear the peaks and troughs. This should tell you the room's features and you need to analyse them carefully.
its works and gives the same results.thx