forums, blogs, song critique, support & more...

New drum mics

Hi gang,

I am about to splash out on a new Hendrix Bubinga drum kit and lots of other new toys for it. Mics for drums have gone by the by over the years all I really have left is a fusion f25 I think. I am considering a 4 mic set up. Bass drum Shure beta 52a, snare or Hi-hat a Shure SM-81-LC and finally overhead a pair of Rode NT5 matched mics. @pcrecord Marco and others, thoughts on this?. I'll be putting these through my Apollo Quad preamps. Room is treated and I have done drum mics before but usually 7 mics. Kit will be 6 piece, 22 Bass, 14 snare, 10 and 12 rack and 14 and 16 floors. 15inch hit-hat, 18 and 20 inch crash, 24 inch ride, 8 splash.

May add roto toms too, but, I'll see :)

Cheers,

Tony

Comments

Profile picture for user Tony Carpenter

Tony Carpenter Wed, 03/24/2021 - 09:46

Waiting waiting waiting lol

Roland kit is packed away and I added that panel to preempt the wall of sound coming my way lol.

Profile picture for user Tony Carpenter

Tony Carpenter Thu, 03/25/2021 - 11:11

Getting closer... but boxes were short by two today.. not a happy camper. The two with my cymbals in!!.

it was like a mechano set.

Profile picture for user Tony Carpenter

Tony Carpenter Fri, 03/26/2021 - 09:21

The mothership has landed!!. Just waiting on rode mics to get into that. Freaky after no acoustic kit for 6 years.. but very nice.

Profile picture for user Tony Carpenter

Tony Carpenter Fri, 03/26/2021 - 13:10

Davedog, post: 468315, member: 4495 wrote:
Love me some bubinga .....

It sounds amazing. Hendrix hit the ball out of the park. The Paiste big beat cymbals are nice too.

Profile picture for user Tony Carpenter

Tony Carpenter Thu, 06/10/2021 - 01:32

Finally got around to doing a mic recording of the drums. Since last time I have tuned the drums and mics some. This now is the live mix people hear when I play on Jamulus each time. I have added a 16inch Istanbul ion crash and a Audix F15 mic on HiHat.

Profile picture for user paulears

paulears Thu, 06/10/2021 - 02:59

I'm reading the comments and am a little surprised by what you're doing. Spaced omnis on jazzier stuff with lots of delicate cymbal work can be nice IN A GOOD ROOM - but spaced cardioids are my usual technique because the volume difference between some crashes, and the usually lower ride make X/Y coverage of an entire kit very difficult unless they are high up = 90 degrees and a left and right cymbal mean they have to be hellishly high and then sound hollow and thin. Even with jazz, a crossed pair wouldn't be on my list. I'm also the kind of person who makes my own rules when things work for me - for example, for some jazz I might have one overhead only and concenrate on condensers for snare, a separate one for the hats and another couple split and panned a little to cover the toms. Kick I'll probably do with a 112 because they're clicky rather than thuddy. So my width comes from the toms, which do cymbals too. I've even recorded jazz sets with overhead and snare/hat - no kick at all - if it suits.

I don't do heavy drums because I don't like the genre and frankly am not very good at getting that kind of sound

Profile picture for user Tony Carpenter

Tony Carpenter Thu, 06/10/2021 - 03:22

In reply to by paulears

Heya Paul,

That was recorded exactly how I play live every day. I use a XY pair of Rode NT55s overhead cardioid! of the snare, a D112mk2 in hole just of bass drum. SM57 on snare and the Audix F15 on hihat. The room is quiet relatively and certainly is small but reasonable height ceiling. I just play and record for myself mostly. We spent time getting the mic and preamps dialled in. And of course the drums all got tuned properly now. New skins I like better G2 Evans. I was trying to find the original sample I put up to compare but it’s disappeared on here.