Leather and Lace, Stevie Nicks Don Henley 1981

Hi Friends!

Just had a visit with our daughter in CA, had a wonderful time, as we missed spending time with our beautiful and talented young woman!!!
Love you Clarissa, and miss you already!!!

Sharing this song we covered, and may we have lots more songs and music and love together!!!

Comments

audiokid Mon, 05/16/2022 - 09:27

That was just beautiful, and your daughter too! I kept waiting for you, Rene to join in!

Now I have to ask... I generally sing into the mic (not to the side of the mic) so I have to ask, either you are both excellent at lip syncing or I'm astonished how well this mic picks up the voice from the side so well.

Never the less, very nice and I'd love to hear this again with the two of you :).

Do you ever sing together?

Rene Asologuitar Mon, 05/16/2022 - 09:28

HI audiokid,

You are truly a recording expert.  Your notice of the gear is impressive.  My video recording are coming from a very simple and actually very reasonable priced gear, maybe except for one mic that I use which is a condenser fromEar Trumpet Labs, "Edwina" model (approx $600).

I record live, and one take.  (Of course that "one take recording" might be 10 tries, hahahahaha.  No lip-sync, no additional plugs after the recording.

Clarissa sings a lot of the new songs today and she loves Beyonce, but she grew up with our music from the Beatles, America, Bee Gees, CSNY, Bread, etc.  We also sing a lot of the new artists like Jason Mraz.  She sings for her brother who has a duo producer-hiphop group called SendaiEra in Seattle.  For sure, we will be doing more recordings when she spends some time with us this summer.

This particular video is from an older set-up, and I have had an issue with one channel only audio, which this recording has.  I have changed my set-up since and the issue was resolved.  I will post another video of an original song recording with my current set-up.  Pls check out my latest original song-collab Seat of Scoffers.

Respectfully,

Rene

benhj Fri, 05/20/2022 - 07:29

This is simply beautiful. I hope you don't mind, I took the audio and added some subtle reverb and EQ to it in Logic and then ran it through some mastering software. I am happy to post the result here, either as a link or an attachment. If you'd like me to do so, just say the word and I'll follow up!

Thanks,

Ben.

Rene Asologuitar Fri, 05/20/2022 - 12:00

benhj wrote:

Thanks,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

You can post your "improved EQ Reverb" version.

I really do appreciate your time and effort in doings do.

You are a very generous person.

Thank you.

Rene

Rene Asologuitar Fri, 05/20/2022 - 21:27

benhj wrote:

Here you go, curious to know what you think!

********************

Hi Ben,

I really love your upgraded version.  First, you fixed the one-channel only sound that I had in the original recording.  Now I can hear from L and R.  I can only hear this difference more noticeably when I am wearing my earphones.  The reverb and EQ were fantastic.  And I have no idea about the mastering software, but your product is simply fantastic.  Everything is warmer, even my guitar sounded really good, especially the bass.

Great work, and I am impressed.

Is there anything I can to improve my recordings?

Thanks again Ben!!!

Rene

benhj Sat, 05/21/2022 - 02:41

Hey Rene, no worries at all -- glad you like it! It's certainly easier to do this kind of thing when the music is good to begin with!

So you should be able to download the mp3 from the above link? Perhaps there is a download option when you open the link or perhaps you can 'right-click' and 'save as'?

A slightly better quality .wav version should also be playable/downloadable from here: https://app.box.com…

Regarding how to record better. Honestly, I think you did a good job besides a small amount of background hiss and the panning issue. The hiss could be reduced I think by adding some kind of high-pass filter to the guitar signal, and maybe a cleaner setting on whatever pre-amp you're using. But this was minor. There was also a bit of clipping on the guitar at one point leading it to become ever so slightly distorted; not a major issue but probably hapenned because the signal went in a bit too hot at that particular point in the recording. Generally it could be good to check before hand that the signal is 'all green' and not clipping by testing with the loudest volume that you think you're going to be strumming / picking the guitar at. The vocal seemed very clean. Everything was recorded quite 'dry' by the sound of it but this actually helped during the post-processing because one could 'start from scratch' in terms of then adding reverb, and EQ, etc.

Speaking of which, I made the track 'stereo' in Audacity (I don't use this program much, I can't reember exactly what I had to do, but it was quite simple). I then imported the resulting sound file into a track in Logic Pro, added some room reverb using the Chroma plugin, used an Ozone 9 plugin (this is kind of like a matsering plugin), and then actually applied EQ right at the very end, making a small low-mid cut and a boost in the upper-mid to high range EQ (note I would usually apply the EQ first; I'm not actually sure why I ended up applying it last -- I don't think I intended to -- but I think the result ended up being pretty good). With the Ozone 9 plugin, I maximized the stero width to pick up the wider transients of the stereo reverb.

Finally, I bounced the whole thing to a stereo wav before then applying additional mastering over at emastered (this is a website that I subscribe to, to master my own music). This applies 'clever AI' and other jargon I don't fully understand to the signal to make it more 'cd-ready' (as it were).

Thanks,

Ben.

benhj Sat, 05/21/2022 - 15:45

Rene Asologuitar wrote:

benhj wrote:

*****************

Well done!!!

Just in case of any misunderstanding, I meant that it was easier with your music! :-)

Thanks,