1/4" mastering or 1/2"

B

blake eat world

is it worth investing in a 1/2" instead of a 1/4" for mastering(big quality difference)?

also, which brands have most of you liked most? I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to tape machines.

Mixerman

Unless you're in a market that has a high demand for 1/2" format, I'd stick with the 1/4" machine. The format sounds great, is way easier to get parts for, and tape costs are considerably cheaper.

If you want to upgrade, then get a better 1/4' machine if that's applicable here.

Mixerman

P

PaulStory

Blake,

I'd agree with mixerman on this one. Unless you are going to need 1/2", a 1/4" machine can sound very nice. I have a 3M M79 that was completely rebuilt. I like how it sounds a lot. You could ask Fletcher if he has any 1/4" machines in stock. Good luck!

A

audiogeek1

If you don't mind a workhorse type of machine look into the Otari MTR10 or 12. You can even get 1/2" heads and guides later that will fit either of those machines. I like my MTR10 because it has never given me a problem and when it is 1/4" (which it is most of the time) it still sounds really good.
Hope this helps

Michael Maughan
Mastering Engineer
Catface Productions
Portland Oregon
audiogeek1@netscape.net

B

blake eat world

thanks guys, i'm so glad I'll be fine with 1/4". I really didn't want to spennd more for 1/2"

J

JS

I am with Mixerman on this. I have a Studer A80 that I wanted to turn into 1/2" from the 1/4" it ever was. After considering my market acceptence I kept it as is for just those reasons!

JS

Bear's Gone Fission

Does anyone still take 1/4" pre-masters? I guess I'm asking about the pressing operations that'll make you 1000 CD's and the artwork. Just wondering aloud.

Bear