12x16' Shed Studio - Bad Idea or Workable?

Space

I appreciate you playing the game...it makes the loose of the Tim Burton's Christmas Saga that much less significant. Now you do not know what that means...but many here do.

So let us look at a few things that I have issue with:
" I do have a full 4" thick RFZ"

An RFZ panel should not be confused with an "RFZ" which is a reflection free zone. Marketing is what you bought, a refection free zone as is attempted in a control room is done by accepted practices, what Kurt mentioned, and at the most, an acoustic designer creates the space for.

JohnSayers develops a reflection free zone based on Thomas Hidleys designs, which John has modified and made world class studios, sometimes in small spaces like a freight container. It can be done, but marketing will be the difference in if it is correct or just simply buying smack.

And he doesn't use an "RFZ" type of broadband treatment. He uses, as most of us do, broadband treatment. What you have is broadband treatment, and I explained the RFZ.

I get it. It can be confusing. But if you either have more money than brains or no drive to get it right, then you subscribe to the easiest fix that you think you need. And marketing gets you there.

"- Is a wooden deck floor going to be a problem, structurally? (Or is this something I'd need to consult a structural engineer about? Uncle works at Boeing...)"

The engineer will cost you more than the shed.

Here is the thing. You cannot develop a mass/air/mass system in a wooden shed. So if you do it, or when you do it, you mass up the exterior....floor included.

You mass up the roof, after you either install venting that it does not have, or closed cell insulation...not open cell.

What you will battle is flanking. Now while a building all by itself seems to be less of a target for flanking, it is your enemy, it exists in a small shed and you have to combat it.

A fully decoupled, mass/air/mass assembly would be overcome by flanking in your situation.

Devin Mooers

Sorry, what is this "RFZ" type of broadband treatment you're referring to, and how is it different from broadband treatment? I didn't buy the panels, but constructed them myself and hung them at first reflection mirror points all around the room.

By the way, I already decided not to do the shed - I'm going to wait until I'm in a new house and can get a permit for a larger building, pour a proper slab, do double wall construction, etc. - that seems to make a little more sense, right? Just thought I'd mention that so we don't beat a dead horse.

Space

Interesting approach to record music from the microphone's perspective and listen back - will have to try that sometime. I do have a full 4" thick RFZ including a cloud (total of 11 2x4'x4" traps) as well as corner traps from GIK, so this room is about the best it's going to get without encroaching too much on the already-small space.

DonnyThompson

The strike is further presumption on your part that you know what you are talking about.

"I do have a full 4" thick RFZ including a cloud (total of 11 2x4'x4" traps) as well as corner traps from GIK, so this room is about the best it's going to get without encroaching too much on the already-small space."

When you say something like that, it goes out to the world and is available for anyone and everyone to see who may be looking for information, and it also comes across as if you're already convinced of something, so then why are you posting here if you are positive that you are right?

kmetal

Kyle P. Gushue
Well no matter where this thread goes at least the shed 'studio' isn't being built. That's a good thing. As far as your existing room being +- 3db@ 20hz, well, all I can say is if my room was that accurate in the low end in the mixing area, at a reasonable volume level, then I wouldn't be considering building anything else. It almost seems to defy the laws of physics, unless you have some sort of extremely large bass trapping the size of another adjacent room, or some sort of extremely detailed array of of broad and narrow band traps. And even then, if was practical, easy and common, we would probably know about it already. If not then well you happen to have come across quite the 'happy accident'. It is also possible that the information you posted is incorrect. This could be by accident or for fun, but usually people with rooms +-3 in don't have questions about fundamentals like the practicality of modifying a small shed, into a studio. So somethings not adding up to me.

Last edited: