"Adat's" Are they really that bad?

Aaron-Carey

TOO COOL!!!
I got a guy around here who like to make handwired class a tube guitar amps, maybe someday I can get him to build me one! At the old studio I was at we had an LA-2A and I LOVED it onalmost anything. How does yours work for you ?

D

dbeng@bellsouth.net

Guido,

This sounds like the typical mindset that I talked about in my original post, not flaming just an observation. Some one else put it into better words, <"It's like buying a Ferrari and seeing the guy with a Geo ragtop getting some of the same chicks!">

I realize that in the great state of Nashville with the megga studios and the other 10,000 bedroom/basement/back porch studios that are on every corner there, you had better call yourself exactly what you are so YOU want get belittled the way you belittled us. I know that we are considered a "Project Studio" which I see you were very careful to make clear on your web site along with the pictures of all your "special" friends. Again, just an obsersation!

You must consider as I stated before that our location determines how we approach a lot of things here. Just like making a decision to stay with adats or "Step Up" to 2", to the name on our shingle. Most of the people here don't know the difference between "adats" and "2" tape" much less "Recording Studio" and "Project Studio"! For the record, when Mix published an article on us we were catagorised as a "Project Studio". http://www.oldhousestudio.com/images/Mix_ArticleColor.pdf

BTW, we are not just a mackie/adat studio, if you had looked at our equiptment list like the others here did you may be suprised! http://www.oldhousestudio.com/equiplist.htm

But thanks anyway for your observations!

L

Louiseven

In my opinion if you need a fancy car to get women then thats the first problem. :)

Use what you have. If it's ADATs or 2 inch PT,DP,LOgic, or Cubase. Whatever it is learn it use it. IF it works for your clients and yourself go for it. If want to upgrade or crossgrade do it because you HEAR a need to. Not for some "cool" contest. Remeber were making music, its art,expression.By all means have fun.
Yes some gear is not made at the same spec as others. Would'nt everyone rather have a Cadillac or Porsche (insert fave car here) But a mustang will get you there. Also like anything else maintenance. If we all know ADATs need more attention then thats what we have to do. My tech just informed me regarding a recent decision to by an old 2 inch machine that this was going to be something we are going to have to seriously learn to maintain. No one usually poo poos 2 inch machines for that.
I love what I can do in my computer DAW and love the sound of it. I also like my ADATs (1) M20 (1) XT 20 they are great.too. There is a big difference in the M20 and XT 20 sound and transport. (so is the price) HTH's

Ang1970

Let's put things into perspective here.

This is not a case of any of us poo-poo'ing ADAT's. This is a case of David's would-be clients poo-poo'ing them. It's a business we're talking about. If you open a quickie mart without a super-slushie machine, then somebody opens a bigger 7-11 across the street from you and they do have one, that's where everyone will go. You can't argue them thru the door by saying "But I have fountain soda with ice... that will cool you off just as well!" You need to be cooler, sexier, and get that damn super-slushie or you can kiss your lease goodbye.

In your basement, sure ADAT's are the bees knees. If you can get clients based on your work instead of what your mic closet looks like, great. But that is not the reality this guy is dealing with. People aren't telling him "you don't have enough Neumanns" or "that board sucks to track on" or "your product sounds like crap". They are saying "ADAT's? Ew... yuk." His business has encountered a very specific hurdle, and it can't be rationalized away.

Maybe you'd like the challenge of being a sales rep, trying to sell ADAT studio time to people who don't need, like, or want to go near ADAT's ever again. That's fine for you. But let this guy run his business the way he wants to.

G

Guido

Whoah, Nellie...or David....
I am not trying to rag anybody w/ an ADAT room! I made a KILLING with my ADAT/Mackie 8 bus configuration! How do you think I got the cash to buy this gear?
To quote you...
<"It's like buying a Ferrari and seeing the guy with a Geo ragtop getting some of the same chicks!">...I would never buy a Ferrari OR a Geo! <G>
<you had better call yourself exactly what you are so YOU want get belittled the way you belittled us.> I never belittled you... I AM a project studio....a project studio on steroids!!!! <G>
<I know that we are considered a "Project Studio" which I see you were very careful to make clear on your web site along with the pictures of all your "special" friends.>
Those "special friends" are my attempt at the campy pix people put up to try and make thereselves seem more important...
Do you REALLY think I think it's "hip" to have pix up of me w/ REBA/Garth/RICHARD SIMMONS/Orville Redenbacher!!???!!!
(The coolest pic, btw, is the one w/ me and Jim Lovell!!!)It's a GAG! Who cares?I AM A PROJECT STUDIO! I WAS NOT DISSIN' YOU....just an observation. I bet you only got on me because you had time to kill while you backed up yer ADAT tapes???<BIG Giggle>
To quote Warren Oates in the timeless masterpiece "Stripes"...."lighten up, Francis!

erockerboy

"Where have you been, soldier?"

"TRAINING, SIR!!"

"What kind of training, son?"

"AaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAARMY TRAINING, SIR!!"

erockerboy

By the way, I used ADAT's for years, and they were a godsend for me at the time. We had 'em for location recording, and they worked great for that purpose. Who wants to lug a 2" machine around, anyway?

I definitely feel ya on the "gear snobbery" thing, tho. Hey, be glad you don't hafta worry about whether your room sports the right SSL. :) Good lookin' place you guys are running, BTW.

On another note... I'm wondering how you guys (the Old House crew) like your Soundcraft Ghost console? I'm outfitting another little writing rig in the next couple weeks, and need some kinda inexpensive 8-bus mixer, but would like to go for something that's a cut above the Mackie. Whaddya think about the Soundcraft vs. the Mackie? Are they essentially in a similar category, or does the Soundcraft win? How are the EQ's, pre's, self-noise, etc.?

TIA for any input!

D

dbeng@bellsouth.net

Sorry Guido, I guess I may have been a LITTLE sensitive! (You know how these artistic types can be) :eek: My Bad!!

But anyway I am glad to announce that Old House Recording Studio is NOW the proud owner of a....
87'MCI JH-24/24 2" Tape Machine!! :D
So now the world can kiss my A** Oh, sorry again, I just had one of those gratifying moments!! We were able to buy it local(no freight/crating HeHe) only two owners and in very good cond.

As for the subject of service, once we get our feet wet and have a quailified tech (which is the same Tech that has been doing the service) in a few times, Old House Scott and myself are more than qualified to do most of the daily tweeking and general maintance. The tech has to come down from Guido's back yard, $$$ needless to say we want to call him as little as possible.

We will still have our adats and can offer both platforms.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions!!!

BTW, we will take deliverly in a couple of weeks but in the mean time I will be needing a Tuschel harness, any suggestions? If needed I can build my own, but would like to buy one if possible. I will be terminating into a TT patch bay.

Thanks again :cool:

L

Louiseven

<Maybe you'd like the challenge of being a sales rep, trying to sell ADAT studio time to people who don't need, like, or want to go near ADAT's ever again. That's fine for you. But let this guy run his business the way he wants to. >

My point was neither I want a job nor was I asking to run his shop.

My point was use what you have.
Quite simple.

alphajerk

i just backed up my hard drives and stared and the 40 cd's it took trying to figure out how much room 2" reels would take for the same amount of music... [one reel is 1.8GB of data at 15ips using almost every inch of it] 26GB would be 30 reels. one weeks work, thats 1500 reels a year. 375 cubic feet of magnetic tape. whats a reel, about 5 lbs. thats 7500 lbs of tape a year. but thats just based on this past week, i have hundreds upon hundreds of cdr's in a small closet.

one thing i've noticed about bands is that all of the ones i work with and come to me wanting to work with me dont give a rats ass what i record on [nor what mic or pre for that matter], they only care about whats coming off it and how it sounds in the end. its really just studios and engineers that care what im using but seeing how its MY studio, i dont really care what other studios think... engineers just have their preference.

so who was belittling your setup?

"But when I talk to the guys at our local "Pro Studio" (Neve, SSL, Studer 2", you get the picture) or anyone else "Pro", they want to talk down the fact or should I say don't consider us as being for real. "

now you just need an API/SSL/NEVE... mmmmm, an API with GML.

nrgmusic

Alphajerk wrote:
> one thing i've noticed about bands is that all of the ones i work with and come to me wanting to work with me dont give a rats ass what i record on [nor what mic or pre for that matter], they only care about whats coming off it and how it sounds in the end. its really just studios and engineers that care what im using but seeing how its MY studio, i dont really care what other studios think... engineers just have their preference.>

Absolutely Alpha, couldn't have put it better myself... Thanks

Simon :eek:

D

Demigoggle

I think Alphajerk is correct. But, business wise in the case of the original poster, he has everything to make up a really nice pro facility. But, depending on what he is recording mostly, its either a new board or a PT system. A REALLY nice ProTools mix plus system can be had used for Under $15K, which would be a small investment compared to a sexy console (Trident 80, API, or anything above that cost-wise) Plus the Automation. I would say go for the ProTools as an intermediate step, it will draw business on its own merit above what you even have now, and will allow you to save up for the board, whether it be a nice analog console or digital board in the future when they starighten the $*^t out.