Another weird computer thing I need help with...

Jon Best

Hey, everyone. I haven't been webbing around as much lately, but I've hit a snag I could use some help on. I've posted this to PCDAW as well.

Last time I wiped the studio computer clean and reinstalled everything, I
followed Opus' W2K optimization guide on http://www.opusaudioprojects.net

Everything has been fine for a couple of months. Today I took out an older drive and stuck it in a removable drive bay to use for some backups. When I went to 'disk manager', it was not available (service wouldn't connect). So, looking back at the optimization guide, I found out I had disabled the services 'Logical Disk Manager' and 'Logical Disk Manager Administrative
Service.'

I figured that might be the problem, and I turned them back on (set to 'automatic'). Stuck in the new drive, connected fine to disk manager, formatted the drive, copied a bunch of crap over to it, everything's fine.

After that, Nuendo would not open any projects- it would load, and walk through the quick 'connecting media' screen, then hang. I had to use Task Manager to shut it down, going through the 'program not responding' screen
as well.

So, I tried to disable the same services again, and the computer hangs up trying to do that. Eventually, I have to shut down 'services' with Task Manager again.

Meanwhile, every time I shut down, the computer says 'CSC Notifications Window is still running', and I have to tell it to force *that* closed,
which I've never heard of. Then it takes three minutes on the 'saving your settings' screen to shut down.

And now it doesn't recognize my soundcard, either.

Any ideas? I need to get this running right, soon. I'd prefer to avoid a full wipe and restore, but I'm thinking that's where I may end up. Thanks.

Asus P4T-E
P4 1.6a
1G Kingston rdram
Enermax 465w
RME Hammerfall DSP/Multiface
Matrox G450 dual
Adaptec SCSI, Maxtor drives, Plextor 12/8/32
Nuendo
Wavelab
UAD-1 card
Nero
plugins

Jon Best
Muddy Creek Audio
Virginia Beach, VA

Opus2000

Go through the services again and make sure it's the same as mine...I wouldtry uninstalling Nuendo and reinstall it again.
Opus

Jon Best

Thanks for replying. Yep, went through and verified that all the services were the same. I had to restart those two to format. I have reinstalled Nuendo, and that didn't do anything different, really. Before the whole thing started freaking out, when I first noticed the problem with Nuendo, Wavelab was acting OK, but the 'CSC notification' window thing still happened (and still is). Now, I can open Nuendo and see the tracks, but it won't close, and I can't disable those two services. Oh- here's another oddity- I started and force quit Nuendo once, and the second time I started it the UAD-1 card was still being used by something. Shut down Nuendo again, and sure enough, nuendo.exe was still in the Task Manager list of processes, and I couldn't shut it down that way.

Of course, the computer still wouldn't let me disable the two logical disk manager services, even when I hadn't touched Nuendo.

Reformat and reinstall everything in the morning, probably. At least I've got all the latest drivers and versions on one disk now. I just bought Norton Ghost, too, so when it's all OK I'll ghost it to a spare drive, finally.

Originally posted by Opus2000:
Go through the services again and make sure it's the same as mine...I wouldtry uninstalling Nuendo and reinstall it again.
Opus

Jon Best

One other thing you may want to think about with the optimization guide- someone knowledgeable pointed out that if you switch over from automatic to manual, you don't have to disable services- they only turn on when you request them. No background clutter, but still accessible.

Opus2000

Yeah, I know that....why even have it turn on if you don't need it in any way?!!!! he he he he!
I'll look into your problem later on...very tired...beta tested till about 7:50pm tonight...did I mention I started around 7:40AM!!! Oy :D

S

suspec57

yo try this,
go to comtrol panel; admistrative tools; services; and set logical disk manager and logial disk manager administrative service to manual. This will give you back the control to do HD importing and $*^t like that. After you're done importing the new disk, go back and set them to disabled because you don't need them running if you;re not using the service and just remember every time you need to import or change a drive letter, format, etc to follow the same procedure. Hope this helps.