Beatles Altec compressors

J

Julius Borges

hello recorderman,

please tell us about geoff's 1176 settings. it would be a great insight.

thanks, jules

J

Julius Borges

treena,

thanks for the heads up on the upcoming beatles recording book! it looks like something more than just a few of us might buy.

jules

RecorderMan

Originally posted by Julius Borges:
hello recorderman,

please tell us about geoff's 1176 settings. it would be a great insight.

thanks, jules
Hey Julius.

What's cool (for me) about Geoff's and Bones Howe's approach to the 1176 peak limiter, is that they use it as such...a peak limiter. Alot of the time people use it as a compressor (4:1).
Geoff used it on bass.
attack=2 (medium slow; aka 9 o'clock)
release= 7 fast; aka 5 o'clock)
ratio=8:1
hitting it pretty good ; 6db gaoin reduction on average.

So this sounds pretty similar to what he was doing with the altec. If he had an 1176 in 67 I bet he would have used it. The slow attavk allows the top to stay in there and still be able to squeeze it really good.

wwittman

I'm not sure that's true, as Geoff was very much a valve gear type (always felt the transistor mic pres didn't sound as good as the older EMI desks with valve pres).
And he was always a big 'Fairchild on the vocals' fan as well.

I still, personally, feel the Altec 436 is a much better sounding bass guitar limiter than an 1176.
And I agree slowish attack is the key.

I know AIR had (has?) a 436 and I'm willing to bet that's what he used at Abbey Road as well.

RecorderMan

Well it's my conjecture based upon my observation of some mixes of is I attended. I've never used an altec on bass myself so I can't comment on that. But I'll have to look around now when I get a chance. :p:

Davedog

hummmmm...I personally know where theres a pristine 436...theres a whole rack of that era Altec...4 channel mixer...amp...monitor...436...power supply...5 grand no scratches...

RecorderMan

Originally posted by Davedog:
hummmmm...I personally know where theres a pristine 436...theres a whole rack of that era Altec...4 channel mixer...amp...monitor...436...power supply...5 grand no scratches...
let me guess..a school? When I was in college our A/V department used that stuff.

K

kryan73

Hi everyone - YES, this question will be conclusively answered in our book with (as my friend and writing partner Brian says) "enough detail to sicken anybody". It definitely IS a mysterious piece, but just sit tight and all will be answered...

thanks,
Kevin

J

Julius Borges

com'on kev!!

throw us a bone, we're the ones that're gonna buy your book. don't be a tease!!!!!! give us this one little fact just to prove your books got the juice we're all looking for. we'll be your friends. it's nice having friends. it beats having people cheesed off at you.

be nice and tell us, PLEASE.
there i said PLEASE.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. IT'S KILLIN ME, I JUST WANNA KNOW!!!!

regards, jules

V

vindeby

Would anyone know the settings used on The Altec 436? And what's the difference between a 436 and 436C, which is the one we have at the studio where I work? Haven't used it much but maybe I should.

Henrik Vindeby

J

Julius Borges

Hello Henrik,

Model A has all parameters fixed.
Model B has variable input attenuation.
Model C has variable input attenuation plus variable recovery (release) and threshold. Model A is grey, Models B and C are dark green.
All user variable parameters are factory modifications to the basic 436A.

Jules