mix critique Big Ride by The Story of the Sun

Davedog

Agree 100%. Melodyne. Just like on the other track you sent. Your instrumentals are so distinctive these songs need that special sounding vocal. This one has a nice vocal tone to it.

Coaching and inspiration and the proper tools.

Kurt Foster

again, i don't hear anything so egregious in the pitch that warrants pitch correction. these guys aren't any more out of pitch than the Stones or Hendrix or Porter Wagner or even Hank Williams. can you imagine melodyne-ing a Hank Williams track? ...... it's rock and roll kids! like i said not a virtuoso vocal but sufficient. i applaud their courage.

i think people are becoming so used to snap to grid and pitch correction it's becoming a knee jerk reaction. some producers are too enamored with the concept of "Look what I can do".

Davedog

i think people are becoming so used to snap to grid and pitch correction it's becoming a knee jerk reaction. some producers are too enamored with the concept of "Look what I can do".
Anytime a producer puts their EGO first in a project it is doomed. It's better to look at it as "Look at what I should do to help it be better"

again, i don't hear anything so egregious in the pitch that warrants pitch correction. these guys aren't any more out of pitch than the Stones or Hendrix or Porter Wagner or even Hank Williams. can you imagine melodyne-ing a Hank Williams track? ...... it's rock and roll kids! like i said not a virtuoso vocal but sufficient. i applaud their courage.

Thanks Kurt! I tend to agree with this. Hope I'm not making an excuse for out of tune vocals but I definitely agree with the sentiment. Thanks for the feedback!

Link555

The vocal needs a bit of space to fit in the mix. I am hearing a bigger reverb like the emt 250 and maybe a subtle doubling effect or chorus On the vox. Have you thought of adding more background harmonies for the chorus?