Finalizer + L2 = ?

V

vagelis

Guest
I got these 2 units for the mastering. Which do you think is the best way to use both of them.

I make my mix ready in the Pro Tools and I record again the file in one of my interfaces through the Finalizer + L2 (Hardware).

Thanks
 
V

vagelis

Guest
Originally posted by Joe Lambert:
How are you coming out of the Pro Tools, Anolog or digital. Are you bouncing your mix? Where are you going after the L2? Back to Pro Tools?
I go out of the Protools digital and I go back digital too.
No I don't bounce the mix. Just only for the case I got to change some things.
I mix internal and I use the interfaces for inserts.
 
V

vagelis

Guest
Originally posted by Joe Lambert:
This is an easy way to do it then. Just make sure your dither and any normalizing is off in Pro Tools, come out of that 24 bit into the L2 and use the dither in the L2.
Ok

The Session is 24 bits. When I record the mix back to the Protools it's still 24 bits cause it doesn't work to record a 16 bit file in a 24 bit session of course.
I got to go down to 16 somehow.
The question is: Do I have to go 16 bit out of the L2 and to bounce 16 bit again (?). Or to go out of the 24 bit out of the L2 and then to bounce down to 16.
Thanks
 

Doug Milton

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2002
Send your 24 bit audio to the L2 and pass it through also as 24 bit. Then dither to 16 bit on your way to disc…
 
V

vagelis

Guest
Originally posted by Doug Milton:
Send your 24 bit audio to the L2 and pass it through also as 24 bit. Then dither to 16 bit on your way to disc…
Ok, you mean to to make it just with the bouncing or not?
Don't forget that I use the Finalizer between. Does it make sense?
 
V

vagelis

Guest
Originally posted by Joe Lambert:
Your last Mastered file should be dithered. Unless your going to further manipulate the audio I would dither the output of the L2. Then that file can be stored back in your PT unit for burning CD's.
I know what you mean but the PT records it as a 24 bit file and before I burn it on CD I got to bouce it again down to 16.
The way I used to do it was, 24 out of the L2 and back to PT unit. After that I bounce to 16 AIFF for burning..
Is it right or wrong?
Like I said the signal goes like that: PT (24 bit Session) = TC Finalizer = L2 (24 it) = PT = bounce 16 AIFF
 

falkon2

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2003
I think L2 would do a better job of dithering. You might want to branch out at the L2 - once as 24 as an archival copy, and one as 16 for burning.
 
V

vagelis

Guest
Originally posted by falkon2:
I think L2 would do a better job of dithering. You might want to branch out at the L2 - once as 24 as an archival copy, and one as 16 for burning.
Hm,
What happens then when PT makes it while bouncing? Cause I got to bounce again to 16 bit stereo interleave anyway
 

joe lambert

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2001
Location
321 West 44th Street Suite 1001
I would still use the L2 dither go into the PT. It sounds better. Even if the PT is set to 24 bit the file will sound better. When you go to burn a CD it will truncate bits 17 - 24 but there will be nothing there anyway since you properly dithered it. I have try'ed this a couple years ago and it sounds correct. With the L2 you want to use the T2 dither with noise shaping on.

If you really want to be safe (anal) After recording back to the 24bit PT Project close it, create a new 16bit project, import the 16bit files and then make your cd.

See how fun this can be.
 
V

vagelis

Guest
Originally posted by Joe Lambert:
I would still use the L2 dither go into the PT. It sounds better. Even if the PT is set to 24 bit the file will sound better. When you go to burn a CD it will truncate bits 17 - 24 but there will be nothing there anyway since you properly dithered it. I have try'ed this a couple years ago and it sounds correct. With the L2 you want to use the T2 dither with noise shaping on.

If you really want to be safe (anal) After recording back to the 24bit PT Project close it, create a new 16bit project, import the 16bit files and then make your cd.

See how fun this can be.
I got it!
Thanks alot!!
 
Top