Guitar Sound

wwittman

Eric has lots of AC-30's and although we've toyed with many over the years we seem to always come back to two, one of his and one of mine, that sound the best and end up getting used almost every time.
And both are built-in top-boost models. His has grey speakers, mine has blues.

also, i remembered a story widely repeated at the time Pyromania came out that Mutt had auditioned 85 Marshall heads ot find THE one to use for that record.
I don't know for certain if it's true, but it's a good story!

S

sagreene

I've gotten a decent sound with a POD 2.0 plugged into a Fender HotRod Deville. Could be a good solution if your guitarist just HAS to use the pod. And no, I can't get a really good sound out of the pod by itself...it just sounds sterile, too clean and fake. Plenty of people like it though. The clean tones are shite! Really bad.

C

Catoogie

I LOVE my POD! I think it rules. Sometimes I'll pump the POD through a monitor and mic that in the room for a little space, sounds great!! Throw a monitor speaker in the bathroom and put up a mic.

B

by

has any one tried out amplitube? they have a new "live" version which is designed to run in real-time through your computer (though, the original amplitube program can do that too)

I know alot of people I know seem to think it's just tons better sounding then any POD stuff. That's why i mention it. The demo is free.

P

Pootkao

Nothing beats tubes and microphones. While I like some of the stuff the modelers can do, I think they're really only usefull when used in combination with the real thing.

Also panning EVERYTHING hard l/r is almost the same as leaving everything straight up the middle. You've got 180degrees to play with. Use all of it. Spread things out. Stick lower freq guit on the inside (closer to centre) and higher stuff cutting through from the outside.

Randyman...

Originally posted by Pootkao:
Also panning EVERYTHING hard l/r is almost the same as leaving everything straight up the middle. You've got 180degrees to play with. Use all of it. Spread things out. Stick lower freq guit on the inside (closer to centre) and higher stuff cutting through from the outside.
Good tip, Pootkao (Hey, what's that smell? Did you poot?)

Later :cool:

T

topher

Because the guitar's are DI its obvisley going to be hard to get that distance your looking for. But 1 way ive found good if im looking for some distance from a DI recording is to cut back 1-5 kHz. Then try to add some room effect. But like i said before DI anything and its going to be hard to get distance if you want it.

wwittman

by the way, i almost never pan anything anywhere but left, right or centre. I don't even switch in the actual pan pots most of the time.

C

Catoogie

Really. Hmmm so where would you theoretically pan the following instruments in a mix.

Lead vocal
Doubled Lead Vocal
Harmony 1
Harmony 2
Drum Kit
Bass Guitar
Acoustic Main
Acoustic Capo
Electric Rhythm
Piano
Hammond
Pedal Steel
Percussion

falkon2

Bass, center;
Lead vocal, center;
Leads, center;
Doubled Lead, hard left/right;
Kick and snares, center;

Others, depends on what they're doing. Is the piano doing light accompaniment or moving the music along?

Edit: Looking back, I can't figure out for the life of me what the heck I meant by "Leads", but "Doubled Lead" refers to the doubled vocal.

Hmm... "Leads". Wonder which little crevice of my brane that came from. Chalk up another mystery for Scooby Doo to solve.

[ August 21, 2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: falkon2 ]

B

by

i like moving things around when panning, cause it acts sorta like when eq'ing. if you push something a little left or right, it might move it out of it's way from another instrument much like frequency juggling does, to make things clearer. panning the reverb returns to someplace other then the original instrument. yet, not so drastic as "the opposite side" or anything...

falkon2

Amazing how one's opinion can change over the course of half a year though. I'm looking back at the older posts and asking myself "did I write this?". :D