Hard Drive for recording

M

mapostel

Originally posted by max:
someone, please, correct me if i'm wrong, but stuffit doesn't affect the information embedded in audio or visual files, it only affects the description of the files, that's why if you attempt to stuff an audio file, you'll notice it doesn't make much difference to the size
StuffIt is supposed to compress data in a lossless way, i.e. that it is reversible to the original. Its effectiveness depends on the kind of data. Obviously it's not very effective with audio data.
I think what rm was referring to was the experience that StuffIt sometimes screws up files. I know what he means - I had corrupted StuffIt archives (not with audio though).
BTW: StuffIt can reduce the size of Audio files. I just made a test with a small 1.3MB file: 14% saved.

Matthias
:cool:

knightfly

Let's put this in a little better perspective - even if you store audio in 32 bit float at 96k, it only takes 16 GB to store 30 minutes of solid 24 track audio. Even doubling that to 192k you still only use 32 GB. Sooo, one 120 GB drive would store 4 reels worth of 2" tape, figuring 15 IPS and 10-1/2" reels. That 120 GB drive now costs as low as $135 US - just checked it on Pricewatch.com...

Now, I haven't bought any 2" tape lately, but the last time I looked you were looking at around $200 US for one reel, maybe a little less if you shop around. That makes that $135 120 GB drive worth about $800 US, or at least $700. Add to that the fact that, unless you own TWO 2" decks and run TWO RECORD PASSES simultaneously, you will NEVER get an exact backup of a 2" tape. Yeah, I know, digital still ain't analog, although it's getting closer all the time - still, with that much of a savings, anybody who can afford 2" in the first place can afford THREE copies of everything, with an optical backup thrown in for FREE !!!

My next DAW, scheduled for this fall, will have 8 IDE drives (4 on RAID, two removable, two fixed) a CDRW, and a DVD-RW, plus a SCSI 160, 15,000 rpm drive for Video, backed up to one or two of the IDE's AND DVD - and this is STILL cheaper than 2" analog. Safer, too - remember, there is no such thing as a bit-for-bit copy of analog tape.

My point, just in case y'all fell asleep, is that there is NO EXCUSE in any kind of pro facility NOT to have at LEAST the # of backups RecorderMan mentioned.

As for client copies, with two removable IDE bays, you can sell the client a DRIVE, two if they're properly paranoid,for the same cost as a reel of tape (which, remember, has NO BACKUP) - for an extra charge, they can store it with you - a large, fire-rated gun safe costs about $1200 - if you're busy enough, storage rental will pay for it in time, not to mention the "cool factor" (Fort Knox ain't got nuttin' on us...)

Sooo, John, even though digital ain't analog (yet) it makes up for it in some ways, and kicks its butt in others... Steve

Mad John

Knightfly, I agree! I think that as long as the Digital recorder is giveing you an honest representation of the material at hand, then the issue of backup seems to be secure, if enough copies are made, giveing the situation.

Also I agree that 2' tape is unafordable, along with many other concerns.

I thank you for your posts, I feel much better about the whole idea, even if it still is a little weird to me, comming from the Analog world.

Cheers,

sdevino

HD Drive back-up is very viable IMO. I have every client purchase a hard drive. I also keep my hard drives to something around 40 GB.

All projects are tracked to my tracking drives and copied to the client's drive and my backup drive (both Firewire 40GB) at the end of each session. When the project is finished the client can purchase a second HD for archive in a separate place and I will store my backup drive (when full) as well. SO I fill up backups and replace them. At $100/drive it is pretty inexpensive.

sdevino

Notice about deleted posts:
I chose to delete at least one post and edit anther from the manufacturer of a specific hard drive product. My basis was that while the reassurance provided was in context, the claims cannot be verified as being unique nor genuine by the readers of this board. I there for considered this material to be commercial and promotional.

Please use personal e-mail to respond to a particualr user if you are a manufacturer of a product promoting features.

I will generally allow clarifications from the manufacturer and I will allow manufacturers to defend themselves against accusations made in a board if necessary.