interning for a ME... i disagree with him... shed some light.

MrEase

At 32 bit float you just can't clip anything internally...
Look at this formula:

D =20log ( 3,401038 ) 1530 dB dynamic range
.............. 1,181038

While the formula you gave is correct I prefer to use the term Absolute Range for this as there is a problem with resolution if you try to do that sort of thing on a mix bus. The resolution of 32 bit float is 25 bits (150dB) hence you would not be able to sum a signal at 0 dBFS to a signal at +1530 dBFS or even +200dBFS come to that as there is insufficient resolution in 32 bit float. It is therefore simpler (and more sensible) to suggest that all signals are kept below 0 dBFS when mixed such that the mix bus itself does not exceed 0 dBFS. The limited resolution is precisely why some DAW's offer 64 bit float accuracy which would otherwise be pointless.

Don Grossinger

Distinguished past mastering moderator
I have received mixes like this: ones that are "pre-mastered". Then the client wants me to make them sound round and musical. This is usually a process that involves a lot of time and little satisfaction. I sometimes ask for a copy of the mix previous to the finished product.

Be kind to your mastering engineer. Let him or her help you sound your best.

Big K

Hi Don, ....
Well said...
But this is a cruel world and MEs are the ones who get hit real hard ...lol...
The more they fiddle about the smaller are the chances to safe some of the vibes ...
Some just use the bigger Hammer and mess up thorroughly.
The usable way of recovering crippled pre-pre-mastered songs I found is the use of Algorythmix ReNovator, which originally is a restauration software that works wonders.... With that you sometimes can adjust and recoup some of the accidents in real emergency cases.

A

Appleseed

Maybe I'm way off but if I were you, I'd quit! Is this guy the only one around who has the gear set up you're wanting to learn on? Perhaps he's the only one who's willing to take on an intern? From a business stand point, it sounds like his customer service policies are trash, his narrow view is stunting, and his arrogance works contrary to the artform of recording and music making. Geez, this is the only way he does it?! Where's the fun in that? Where's the experimentation? Where's the growth?! I'm not a big believer in the idea that everyone has to "pay their dues," but if he is your only option, than stick with it and take what he says with a grain of salt. Don't pick up any of his bad habits, though.

kmetal

Kyle P. Gushue
Why don't you ask him if you can 'stay late, or come in early' and master the record in the way you see fit? Paying customers don't care how it's done, they want the best finished product. I work sometimes w/ a man who mixed some Grammy winners, and let's just say his ideas are not always what I’d have thought of, or read. Guys like that know what there listening for. While used to their conventions, they will say what they think 'sounds better' when heard, regardless of 'how, or what'. i am not completely sure, but i think pt HD uses fixed point math, and LE uses floating point. I need to check my manual to be sure.