Is it possible to automate a click track?

Michael Epting

Registered
I am using Pro Tools 12.8. was wondering if there is any way to create a click track to only run and then turn off after a few measures. I am recording with my friend who is playing drums while I am on guitar. We want to play our song live all the way through and want a nice click to begin with that ends after a few measures so that we can flow through the rest of the song. I am the guitarist and the engineer so I am unable to turn off the click. Thanks

Michael Epting

Registered
I'm sure there's a way to do it. If you can't automate the volume directly on the click track, route it through a bus to an aux track and automate the volume on the aux track.
I was thinking that maybe I will just record a click track onto another audio track before we jam and then play over that. I think I may have just been overthinking this one but if anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them.

paulears

Kmetal’s way is how I do it. In Cubase I figured I could use the automation tool to do the metronome direct but that doesn’t work, so cresting an audio track is simplest.

pcrecord

Quality recording seeker !
I
Print and volume automation. Done.
Agree !

Althought, why muting it ? If there is tempo changes, those can be set on a tempomap..
Of course if the drummer never played with a click, this could fail and you are better without it..