Kmetal's new mid/budget level computer.

kmetal

Kyle P. Gushue
And the plot thickens. Lenovo, has finally released the documentation on the Lenovo ideacentre sand I finally got to figure out some of the components. I want to upgrade the anemic stock psu, and apparently Lenovo uses a proprietary ten pin atx power plug, with 9 pins being used. It's possible to use the next model ups 450w psu, but this is also a generic part, and at $120 usd, it's almost as much as the corsair ax 860. I'm considering taking out the pcie x16 graphics card that came with it to save on power consumption. The graphics card is reccomended for 300w. Or more psu's but Lenovo stuck it in my computer along w 250w. Lmao. I think the CPU/chipset has Intel 530 graphics built in, so openly that will work, but I'm not even sure how to do/check this.

The max supported ram speed is 2133mhz, so that makes things cheaper for me in that dept.

I've also discovered that it doesn't support booting from pcie SSD drives. So my options are standard pcie sata speed pcie drives, or a dual m.2 adapter for the pcie x16 slot. I also have decided that if I go w 2.5" SSD drives, I will go Samsung 850 pro, instead of sm863 enterprise drives.

I'm thinking currently of 2 Samsung 850 pros in 'raid 0' for audio, and then the m.2 drives one OS, one Sample. That's the fastest configuration I can think of, if m.2 adapters /speeds are in fact supported, as. The Lenovo tech has said it wold...Hopefully it'll work, but I have to finally take this thing out of the box and start swapping things in and out one at a time. The two audio suds in raid 0 should equal the speeds of the m.2 drives, if my thinking is correct. Both should do 1000mb/s transfer rates on paper, again, if I'm correct. I'm not quite sure my understanding on it is correct, so feel free to correct me. So psu is the last hurdle to tackle conceptually, before I start taking this thing apart.

I'm finally familiar with the basics of PCs, (after hours and hours of you tubing and 5 days of part hunting/mattching) and I'm ok with cutting wires, modding things. My main concern is just reliable performance when the replacement is finished. I'm having a hard time finding anyone on the www that is successfully replaced the PSU, and Lenovo doesn't stock an adapter. Any help is greatly appreciated! I can post more pics/links if needed. I haven't unboxed my computer yet, but I do have the manuals, and parts lists now that Lenovo finally got around to making them available. There are the pics of the stock mobo, and psu, as well as the corsair psu I'd like order for it. I'm just concerned about running this thing w the stock psu, at least for more than a few days/hours,, and would love to get the psu upgraded before I even turn in on, but we'll see.

I have the RAM on order for the NAS, and ive deceived to go with seagate enterprise NAS drives ion Raid 0. The initial drive I bought was just a standard seagate NAS model, and has a 5900rpm disk speed. So thankfully I caught my error before ordering it's duplicate the other night. The new plan is to setup the NAS w the drive I have (the 5900rpm one) and make that the archive disk. While I'm working on the setup and archiving of the old stuff, I'll be saving to order the new enterprise pair of drives in a couple more months.

In addition to the pics, il attach a vid clip of someone who has the same machine, and opened it up. I also have tons more pics, data and spec sheets, and links, so anything you need, I'll probably have, if it is available to the public.

Finding out where my bottle necks are finally, is allowing me to finilize the purchase list for the best fitting parts for max performance, but staying within the limits this modest machine was made to do. It feels good to be narrowing possibilities. Eta is. 2-3 weeks more before the NAS/mini PC un boxing and setup. I'm currently trying to clean out some space. Anyway any thoughts and suggestions are welcomed, this psu issue seems fixable.

It seems I'm having trouble. My pics, yet again, which is an ongoing iCloud / iPad issue w me. I despise iCloud. Gonna try to reboot.

kmetal

Kyle P. Gushue
No luck w the pics, keeps saying "invalid extension". I've had nothing but problems since the year started with access to my pictures and iCloud. It's cost me some opportunities, and innumerable hours and headaches. As soon as I can I will post the photos.

In the meantime here's the MOBO, and psu model numbers.

MOBO-

Msi (is the brand on the box, probably s generic version)

01AJ143

Stock psu

Ace bel

54y8934

kmetal

Kyle P. Gushue
Well, for some reason my pics still aren't working, (sighCloud), but thankfully someone else who is encountering the psu issue took some killer pics. Also, this links to a thread on Lenovos forum. Apparently some people have gotten this computer to work properly with an aftermarket psu, via some wiring mods. Does this method makes sense to anyone ? It seems relatively straightforward. I did some mods to a wiring harness a couple times for my car radio, other than that, I'm green with this type of thing.

I'd be okay, with risking frying a MOBO trying this, as long as I could keep the other components safe. I'm. It sure if it works like that. I guess I'm gonna learn the finer details of how a psu and mobo work together.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...-700-10-Pin-Atx-Connector/td-p/2217945/page/3

Here are some of the connecters people are using/modding. It seems to me that the 20 to 10 pin would fit, but it requires a complete reorientation of wires, which should be relatively easy, with the right tool, and proper layout. I think the 2nd one is the one that was successfully used in by some users in the Lenovo forum, but required jumping the green wire to black, w a paper clip. Someone else just fused the wires together, in a seemingly more refined take.

http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/59402010000e-p-12556.html

http://www.moddiy.com/products/HP-Z800-Z600-PSU-Main-Power-24%2dPin-to-18%2b10%2dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 314
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 303
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 306