Mastering exercise for everybody !

pcrecord

Quality recording seeker !
Hi gang,

A few weeks ago I posted a series of 3 videos of me mixing a song on my youtube channel.
I've been suggested to make the mix accessible so anyone can do a mastering of it as an exercise and to compare our shops.

Here are the files, either in 48khz or 96khz, just choose your favorite format :
You can post links of your version here and I'll do a video to compare each versions while quoting the comments this will receive.

Mix : You and me and the radio in 48khz : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dA04phKf6DxLCGcwmrEDSw2esfcscIgM/view?usp=sharing
Mix : You and me and the radio in 96khz : https://drive.google.com/file/d/16SE3GNhiR0ngl638M7_c2YATnInqsJNk/view?usp=sharing

Can't wait to hear your version.

PS. this is just for fun and for anyone who wants to compare his/her work and get comments on it.

Tony Carpenter

The Minstrel
I am sure I probably have no legs to stand on here.. but, here's a master version from me. I didn't do anything overly fancy, just listened and used some of my usual chain, and made sure it's LUFS friendly ;). I need to work out how to put it in like Chuck did, also I did mix to WAV if I can use that instead of 320kbs mp3?.
And fixed!. Thanks Chris!!.

pcrecord

Is anyone going to critique us though? Mine were done with Audeze LCD-X cans. I don't have any monitors setup currently. Is what it is, I guess.
In a few weeks I'll gather all the versions in a video and try to compare them.. My goal is not to say if one is right or wrong but just to note the differences.. ;)

Of course comments written here are welcome, I can incorporate them to the video..

audiokid

Chris
I am sure I probably have no legs to stand on here.. but, here's a master version from me. I didn't do anything overly fancy, just listened and used some of my usual chain, and made sure it's LUFS friendly ;). I need to work out how to put it in like Chuck did, also I did mix to WAV if I can use that instead of 320kbs mp3?.
And fixed!. Thanks Chris!!.

View attachment 19983
Your mix is really good tony!

audiokid

Chris
Okay, I'm going to play. Such a great song, I can't resist!

I haven't done any music related stuff in a few years, I guess my ears have rested enough lol! My process: Samplitude connected to my TV and the laptop using hdmi. First time for that ever! Never thought I could mix on my TV./ speakers :D

I used to be able to dynamically fix sss but don't remember anymore. I would like to seperately tweak to Vox on this. Would enjoy mixing this one day too.

LarryQualm2

Chuck
Personally, I think Chris's takes the cake. Good work, man.

I don't do too much of this either these days. If fact when I'm here is about the frequency of when I am. Just for fun once in a while and a great way to celebrate some new plugs.

Cheers - to 2015 revisited. Lol. And, yes, Chris, you were on the TV speakers then too.

(y)

audiokid

Chris
Personally, I think Chris's takes the cake. Good work, man.

I don't do too much of this either these days. If fact when I'm here is about the frequency of when I am. Just for fun once in a while and a great way to celebrate some new plugs.

Cheers - to 2015 revisited. Lol. And, yes, Chris, you were on the TV speakers then too.

(y)
Well thank you! It’s always fun when you are here!
I vaguely recall mastering on a TV. My memory is slipping, yours is amazing!
I’ve mixed on laptop and boom box speakers. Both just take not trying to push or expect too much volume with them.
I’m glad you like what I did but It’s just to play within the group for fun.
Goes to show... maybe we don’t need a lot of gear. Hope others participate.

pcrecord

I'm going to do my version this weekend and post it here.
I think I'm going to wait another week to make my video..
The versions are all good.. when I gather them, I'm going to listen to them on different systems and compare them..
Like I said, not to say what's good or not, just to check the differences.. ;)

LarryQualm2

Chuck
Well thank you! It’s always fun when you are here!
I vaguely recall mastering on a TV. My memory is slipping, yours is amazing!
I’ve mixed on laptop and boom box speakers. Both just take not trying to push or expect too much volume with them.
I’m glad you like what I did but It’s just to play within the group for fun.
Goes to show... maybe we don’t need a lot of gear. Hope others participate.

Thanks, Chris. This is the only Chris I know here ...my mastering, software advocate, plugin extraordinaire, who lives in Canada (amongst the rest of you) pal. It's cool you joined in the thread.

This is a forum board you can always "come home" to. It's mellow, low-key; knowledgeable staff actively involved: audiokid, kmetal, pcrecord, are the names that do pretty much have all your answers, here. (y)