Need a Computer for startup Recording Studio

Nutti

This is kinda cool...I'm almost doing the same thing as you are planning to do, but in Finland :)

In my oppinion the time for small studios like this is over long ago, but I understad how you think when you want to offer "budget" bands to get the oppertunity to make a record. This is exactly as I thought a year ago...the problem is all the cheap equipment out there. One member in a "budget" band can simply get some recordingstuff and make their record at home and get somewhat decent demorecords made. Atleast here in Finland there just isn't the need for small studios anymore.

Anyways, this weekend I actually bought a "new" computor to my studio and it has the same processor as yours, i7 920. I overclocked it last night to 3GHz and it runs stable under stresstest, so I think it would be good enough for this kind of projects. I bought this cheap from a gamerguy who had put alot of effort into the computer when he got it, so it has a huge cooler with doubble 120mm fans so it stays very cool (max peak at 60'C under stresstest). It also had a 1000w powersupply (overkill for me) and a radeon 5870 graphic card. Now to my point: the thing he didn't care for was computer noise, and it almost sounded like a old fridge when he started it up. So when I got the computer I also stopped by another guy who had a different case fo sale. This was a Fractal design define r3 and my GOD what a difference! It's a case that has been built for silence, and when I installed everything I went with 2x120mm intake fans and one 120mm exhaust fan all connected to the fancontroller witch is intergrated with the case. I can't measure the db:s but it's nothing to talk about. The loudest noise from it is from the graphic card and the powersupply. I searched the net and found a review sayin 15db noise at 1m from the case...

The case might not have been something you've thought about so I just thought I'll write it here and recommend the fractal design case and to remember that graphic cards are loud and some power supplys.

Regards from Finland!

Kurt Foster

in this case the op is already in the building with insurance in place. but if they were looking to do a start up and get a new lease, it's most likely the landlord would require insurance be purchased to protect themselves before you could ink the lease.

legal attacks can be expensive to defend. even if the person sueing doesn't have a case an aggressive lawyer knows it's going to cost a defendant at least 10 grand to defend the most frivolous lawsuit. these are what we call nuisance lawsuits.

don't forget the local business tax's, sales tax's, state tax's and city tax's. in some municipalities they will even tax the improvements and fixtures you install in the landlords building on an ongoing yearly basis. i actually had a county assessor "drop in" (unannounced of course) at least once a year at my studio. lots of hidden costs and unknown expenses running studios.

BobbyRose23

As far as comp I'm in this same spot, I'm building something, I would say anything over 3ghz and over 8gb of DDR3 ram I'd at least have a triple or quad core. I am putting 2.5 TB of Hard drive, 2 different hard drives. 1 for basic computer storage and another for music projects. I don't need a i7 but I dunno if you want the price tag of one (I'm an AMD guy anyway) but browse and see what you can find. Some websites have CPU and motherboard combos.

TheJackAttack

There are no triple core cpus. If building for long term use one should stick with i7 or AMD equivalent. Also, massive hard drives are good only for storage. Recording drives IMO should be no larger than 500gb as these are the most stable and fastest.

Also, onboard chips are generally separate chips. The new intel chips actually have the gpu inbuilt to the cpu architecture.

What you do not get by building your own is knowing which combos of hardware are most/least compatible.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

BobbyRose23

While this dude says what he wants and doesn't make sense just have over 3ghz in CPU, I'd have 16-32gb of hard drive space. And get a good processor like I said before. I prefer AMD personally and would really recommend A6 or A8 and try and get black edition which will either be AM3 or FM1 socket. If you think his i7 is a must get an A10 (about the equivalent)

TheJackAttack

Your AMD processor is a dual core processor with a gpu core thrown on for good measure. So technically it does have three cores. It's performance is also not so hot which is why it is so cheap. FWIW it is decent enough for the price but is definitely not anything one would consider future proof. Along the same lines, I am not a fan of the Intel integrated cpu/gpu chip either.

You are welcome to be an AMD fanboy. I don't have a problem with AMD but the benchmarks readily available speak for themselves. AMD was once king of the hill. Currently it is Intel. Perhaps the pendulum will swing back the other way but that day is not today.

[="http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A6-3500+APU"]PassMark - AMD A6-3500 APU - Price performance comparison[/]

Your A8 is a better suggestion in the AMD lineup.

BobbyRose23

I'm just saying there is one so I don't want to hear you think you know everything. I'm not saying I'm using that I'm proving a point I am personally using an A6 or A8 black edition which are good gaming processors. Peace

TheJackAttack

And as to HDD size and stability, that has also been well hashed out on the interwebs and benchmarks. The larger the hard drive size the more platters are present and the less stable the spindle becomes as well as the drive spins slower. Some SSD drives are becoming usable but the lifespan for rewrites still does not make them ideal for longevity. SSD is best used for the operating system main drive. Large drives are best utilized as storage and medium size drives for projects, VST libraries and samples.