patch bay or?



im connecting a control room to a studio and i dont want to use a snake. i havent put up the drywall or insulation in the wall frame yet, and i cant seem to find "patch bays" on the net. i find patch bays for the common control room use, but nothing to mount into a wall to carry signal from the studio into the control room. any ideas?


Well-Known Member
Apr 23, 2004
at you can purchace perpanint installation audio wire by the foot.


A few months ago I looked into snakes, patch bays, and so on for the same reason.

Unless you get a really good patch bay or break out box, they will increase the noise. Also you'll need to have 2x the amount of cables and that can get expensive.

Here's what we did: hole buit into CR/Live room wall, lined with metal channel, stuffed tight with rockwool. XLR and TRS cables run directly from mixer, through the hole and to various locations in the live room where they can be plugged directly into mics, amps, instruments.

Clamps insure that an accidentally pulled cable won't yoink the end on the CR side!

We made enclousures that run along the wall to bring certain cables to various locations in the live room (like 8 XLR going to the drum kit setup position). Simple electrical or packing tape works fine but if it should be a permanent feature, might as well make it look good with wall mounted casings.

We used dry-wall metal frames (2 placed facing each other creates a fully enclosed metal rail - good for ishielding the cables and cost is a few bucks) and covered them with carpet.

Overall it works great, looks tight, no extra noise, cheap as it gets.