Removing plosives in a mix



Hi all. I was wondering something about plosives. I've got a couple of them at the beginning of a song and they're fairly minor and weak so I think I'm going to try to compress them or EQ them out - but out of curiousity, can anyone tell me if mastering will be able to help. I've heard that they're sometimes better handled by a good mastering engineer. Any comments?


Well-Known Member
May 28, 2003
Kansas City, KS
IMO, there could be some artifact of the plosive, because you have moved the diaphram with air. That movement and distortion of the diaphram surface has effected the higher frequencies as well.

If it is subtle, try compression, then experiment with a high-pass first. EQ for me is a last resort.

They might be able to to it with more finese and precision. Then again, they may not. I would get a consultation with your mastering guy. Maybe send him a disc or e-mail an MP3 (gag).

Good luck.


Well-Known Member
Apr 9, 2003
Fairfield County, CT
Always do the best you can to eliminate such things at the mix. I've had luck rolling off some low end on the plosives and compressing a touch or automating a volume cut. It's a lot easier with digital than back in the analog tape days, that's for sure!

Uncle Bob



Well-Known Member
Mar 31, 2002
If you wait for mastering, then whatever the mastering engineer does will effect all the music content close to the frequencies of your plosives.

A good quality EQ with a high pass should improve thing alot . There is little if any vocal content below 100 Hz so if you are careful it should be easy to fix. But you need a good EQ.