Sound beginner building a recording package, classical and jazz music

Aaron

Get the best quality you can afford and then experiment until you have made the stone bleed bright crimson blood enough to entice a vampire.

Agreed. No one can get what they can't afford. Whether or not someone wants to purchase something now or wait and save is up to them. And I'm sure we can all agree that stones bleeding bright crimson blood is an interesting concept in itself.

Aaron

On that note, I did make my first purchase of audio equipment a couple of weeks ago. Initially I wanted to go with the pair of Neumann KM184's, but after thinking about it, like I made a quick mention in another forum, I couldn't justify spending $1600 on mics when I haven't even made a single recording yet. Eventually I would like to get those though. I decided to start with a pair of Rode NT5's, and if I decide after awhile of recording I don't like the sound of them, they weren't a huge investment and should be able to sell them later. I will take a little more time to save up for a higher quality interface with clean transparent pres though. Can someone recommend a third mic, that I might be able to use to record hall ambiance or crowd noise if I record a concert?(Nice sounding and in around the same budget as the NT5's give or take $) Also mentioned in the other forum, I am thinking of perhaps hypercardioid pointed in the opposite direction. Any advice on that?

Whether or not going for the lower priced mics and them maybe being the relatively weaker link in the sound chain, I'll let my ears decide that later, but either way I'm not going to lose sleep over it, yet.

BlueRam

Registered
Hi all
I know this is an old thread but it's exactly the topic I want to discuss and thought it best to continue here to consolidate information rather than start a new thread.

Is anyone using Rode or Line Audio Design CM4 microphones to do their recordings? What other options are there in the NT5/ CM4 budget range?