Soundcard 1/4" outs to consumer stereo speakers?



I have some nice Grado headphones for monitoring, but becuase much of my voice-over work will now end up being distributed as streaming Flash audio, I'd like to listen to the mix on cheap consumer desktop computer speakers as well -- the kind of thing that comes bundled with a PC or that you'd pick up at Circuit City or Costco -- that's what most of my audience will have.

These computer speakers typically have a 1/8" stereo jack. But my new soundcard has 1/4" outs only.

Now, the lead-in, lead-outs, and background music are stereo. The voice-over is a mono track from a channel strip. So, the mix will up a single stereo track. Right?

So, I'm trying to figure out my options. I guess I could leave the old Audigy card in the machine and manually select it as the output device when I wanted to hear the speakers.

But I'd rather ditch the old card and just use the new one (Delta 66). So how do I physically adapt the 1/4" mono outs on the card to the 1/8" stereo input going to the speakers? Just a matter of finding an adapter or is there something else?

By the way, if you're looking for headphones, this guy has a good review site:

Thomas W. Bethel

Well-Known Member
Dec 12, 2001
Oberlin, OH
Go to your local Radio Shack strore and tell them what you need in the way of an adapter - they are normally IN STOCK. They usually have two varieties - standard and gold plated. The gold plated one is overall better in quality and does not cost that much more so I would suggest getting the gold plated one.

Hopes this helps......