Soundcraft Ghost modifications

audiowkstation

..............."I was using a ghost and the headphone jack nut was loose causing problems...then it fell through...because someone did not full tighten it and then it caused more problems..."

...and should have elaborated about the headphone amp too...

see?!!!!

Glad it is back in ass kick mode again..

Not a bad console at all for the price and much better than any mackie (analog) I have tried especially on the eq's.....

GT40sc

Have you checked to see if the 2-mix hum actually gets recorded on your mixes?

Last week we were tracking on the Ghost at my friend Phil's "Stewdio," and there was quite a loud hum in the headphone jack under the console armrest.

BUT...no noise in the regular headphone feed. (mix B)

AND...no noise in the rough mixes at the end of the night. (Mixed down to a Masterlink.)

SO...I think you're on to something when you disconnected the MIDI-mutes, etc. Keep us posted.

hope this helps,

SC

erockerboy

Have you checked to see if the 2-mix hum actually gets recorded on your mixes?

Yah, believe me, it's there. At first I thought it might just be a monitoring problem, but when I played back the mixes... AARGH.

Ya know, this whole project is getting pretty depressing. It kinda bugs me that I should have to strip down this console's functionality (by ripping out the CPU and headphone amp) to get a decent noise spec out of it. Am I polishing a turd here?

If I could fit a short-loaded SSL into this room, I would do it in a second. Is there an alternative I'm not thinking of? Some kinda 32-input mixer that'll fit into a Mackie- or Ghost-sized footprint, with an ultra-pure signal path. All I want is clean 'n' quiet. I don't need mic pre's, I don't really even need EQ's... I just need summing and level control. Maybe I should buy a couple of those Manley 16x2's, or that Millennia Media thingy.

Well, back to the lab...

-e

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tymish

No hum with 2-mix down?

Do you hear hum on the output of the master inserts?

Is there hum from channel direct out, insert out etc?

Same for subgroups?

T

Tymish

Originally posted by EJolson:

Yah, believe me, it's there. At first I thought it might just be a monitoring problem, but when I played back the mixes... AARGH.

Ya know, this whole project is getting pretty -e

I assume you listened to the mixes from a unit not connected to the console?

erockerboy

No hum with 2-mix down?

Just to clarify: everything is disconnected except for PSU and a pair of headphones. All inputs are muted and deselected from buses. The hum on the 2-mix can be controlled with the stereo master fader, i.e. with the fader down you get no hum. Fader up, with EVERYTHING muted, you get hum.

Do you hear hum on the output of the master inserts?

Yup.

Is there hum from channel direct out, insert out etc?

Nope. Well, according to the AP there *is* an infinitessimal bit of hum on a couple of channels, but certainly nothing to get excited about compared to that 2-mix buzz.

Same for subgroups?

Yep... curiously enough, this hum seems to be common to the entire busing matrix, not just the 2-mix.

I assume you listened to the mixes from a unit not connected to the console?

Yeah, we played back both DAT's and CD-R's thru the respective headphone outs on those units. Don't worry, I haven't lost THAT many brain cells.... yet. <g>

God, I am so depressed. I am this close to abandoning ship. Hey, has anyone checked out the D&R Vision? It looks interesting... a hi-quality piece that oughtta fit in a Mackie/Ghost-sized footprint. Anyone worked on one?

T

Tymish

"Then we started going over the caps in the master section, and a couple of 'em were clearly fried."

"Yep... curiously enough, this hum seems to be common to the entire busing matrix, not just the 2-mix"

"Nope. Well, according to the AP there *is* an infinitessimal bit of hum on a couple of channels, but certainly nothing to get excited about compared to that 2-mix buzz."

This doesn't sound like a problem with the PSU since you would likely have the same hum on the entire console, individual channels included.

Burned up caps in the master section sounds like a very likely problem source since many caps are used to filter noise. This board may have had something plugged into it wrong or an interal short of some kind.

I haven't heard many people complain about 2-bus noise in these boards except for problems with the headphone jack.

YMMV
Good luck