moonbaby

Mmmmmm
Kurt: "volts swing is what makes or breaks a board. most table top consoles fall on their faces on this point.
"
Truer words were never spoken. They don't make small boards like that anymore. What's somebody to do - slap a PM3K up on the table?

dvdhawk

So, the dsubs would be like having 32 preamps available that could AD into example, the Orion32 96/24 > DAW of choice?

Makes sense to me, the SL32 Direct Outs could be 32 decent pre-amps to your Orion32, but the Orion is doing the A/D conversion into your DAW. The signal would be coming into and out of the PreSonus in analog form. Then you can still use boutique pres where you feel you need them.

Capture is slick isn't it.

audiokid

Chris
Capture is slick isn't it.
In 35 years of digital audio, I've never experienced anything as slick as Capture. Its simple, but isn't that what we all really need, especially during the creation process. I love the Studio Live for just this alone. PreSonus is definitely being driven " by and for" musicians in mind.

I think its the ultimate creation console. Every band/ studio should have one. If the pre's are acceptable, tell them to just keep tracking, call us when they are done. (y)

Kurt Foster

well that's the question. are the pre's acceptable? i never cared much for the later PreSonus pres .... ok they're class A and xformer but they are pretty low gain and i really don't love their sound. i do like the earliest versions with the Jensen xformers though.

firstdu

Registered
Please guide me regarding career growth in audio engineering/Music engineering field. I have passion about music and wants to choose this as my career.Please help me to find this.

audiokid

Chris
The PreSonus ADL 600 is a really wonderful full bodied pre , one of my favourites. The SL Pre's are not in the same league but get it done. The key is to keep the levels in check.
I have a new StudioLive 32 AI on the way, upgraded from the SL. It will fun sharing my thoughts.

DonnyThompson

Please guide me regarding career growth in audio engineering/Music engineering field. I have passion about music and wants to choose this as my career.Please help me to find this.

I could be brutally honest here and tell you that the best career move you could make would be to find anything other than audio engineering... but assuming that you have your mind made up, I'll play along for a bit...

What you've asked for is nearly impossible to answer without knowing more about you and your background. Are you a competent musician? Have you ever been in a recording studio before? Are you fairly adept technically? Are you fairly well rounded in math and physics? All of these things come into play as a recording and mix engineer.

My suggestion to you would be to start by renting time at a real recording studio, and ask the engineer questions...don't expect this for free - they have a job to do and you should expect to compensate them. Ask around at local studios to find out if they need or would consider taking on an intern - at which point, you can expect to be sweeping floors, making lots of coffee, organizing cables, etc., and while you are doing this its up to you to pay very close attention to what the engineer is doing in the sessions. Don't ask questions while he or she is busy working with a client. Write your questions down and ask them after the client has left the studio. As an intern you will NOT be mixing sessions for at least the first year, maybe even longer.

Invest into a basic computerized recording rig at home - modern computer, multi-track recording program, audio and MIDI interface, preamps, a good dynamic mic and a good condenser mic, a MIDI controller, decent monitors, etc. This way you can at least do your "homework" and put to application that which you learned during instruction. You should expect to be spending a minimum of around $3000 for a home recording set up... and, that's doing it on the cheap, by the way.

I can tell you that as a career move, audio engineering does not currently pay very well, especially for new engineers... there are more than a few large professional studios that are closing their doors after being in business for decades... and there are many veteran engineers out there who do know what they are doing, and who cannot get work, at least not enough for it to be their only job.

I don't want to discourage you completely, but you should know going in that audio engineering gigs aren't exactly falling out of the trees.

If you have a solid musical background ( can play an instrument or two very well) and are technically savvy enough (understand computer technology as well as audio gear) can comprehend math and physics ( room acoustics, microphone design and technique, amplitude, gain structure,) then you might have a shot at someday becoming fairly well-versed in this field.

In the meantime, research and soak up as much information as you can on your own - regarding audio processors, ( EQ's, gain reduction), acoustics, microphones, MIDI, and start by taking yourself to school through the internet.

You also may want to consider taking an on-line course in basic audio production 101.

Here's one in particular that I've heard good things about:

https://www.coursera.org/course/musicproduction

Good luck.

d/

PS - I just notice that this subject is n the wrong forum section. I didn't notice until I had answered. I'll let Chris decide where this should be moved to...

audiokid

Chris
PS - I just notice that this subject is n the wrong forum section. I didn't notice until I had answered. I'll let Chris decide where this should be moved to...

Good eye Donny, (y)

I OP this here because the StudioLive is a live console that does act as a controller to some degree for the Capture software. I also felt it would serve lurkers looking at the StudioLive better than the opposite had I posted this in the hybrid forums where some might never even consider this as a professional hybrid solution or part of.

Being said, my main interest in the StudioLive is for live tracking and PA use which as a bonus, includes a backup and project tracking system. 32 mic pre's may come in handy some day too!