US$4000 to spend on front-end. Help me!

I

insanecooker

I'm still waiting for my local distributor to answer about the price on the Langevin.

Just for you to have an idea how weird pricing is down here, the Red 8 would be about the same price of the ISA 428, possibly cheaper, and the Dominator is just $400 shy of the Manley (if I can trust the price list I got).

Depending on the price of the Langevin, I could get the DVC now, and the Red 8 and Manley El-Op in just a couple of months.

That might be the better option.

sdevino

insanecooker said:
own here, if my quotes so far are correct.

The problem is I think the Manley is overkill for the job. I planned on doing my processing in the digital domain, and using such a fine unit just to avoid clipping seems ethically questionable.

Using any unit to avoid clipping while tracking is just poor tracking practice. Use an external comp if you want to add tone, to avoid clipping try using some of the 110dB of dynamic range you have by turning the input level down. Tracking at -12 to -18 dBFS should leave plenty of headroom for the instruments you said you track.

16 bit was a different story. 24 bit should not need limiting for tracking other than for the sound.

Steve

I

insanecooker

I agree with you, and I do like the tone of a limiter working softly on the background.

I should have phrased it differently: I don't want to compress until it starts pumping or anything, I compress very lightly on input. The "just to avoid clipping" part was an exaggeration, I want more than that, but thought the el op was too much gear for the slightly limited sound I like.

Maybe I'll just have to get one of the Manleys :)

sdevino

I have 2 cranesong trakkers, 2 Distressors and 2 Dakings.

Cranesongs are amazingly versatile
Distressors are agressive and hot
Dakings a warm and fat.

Just some others to consider.

I

insanecooker

Out of those, I think only the Crane Songs are available here in Brazil, and it's distributed by the same folks who distribute Manley gear.

I think it's a bit more expensive than what I can afford now. When my second turn of getting nice gear comes up, I'll be sure to look into those. Thanks.