Pro Audio Community

hey all

looking at these 2 compressors.

FMR more expensive but i've heard its worth the money. the DBX i hear is no a frills work-horse. will be using either one primarily for tracking though i plan to experiment with mastering in the future.

any opinions, comments suggestions??

thanks!

Comments

Profile picture for user BobRogers

BobRogers Tue, 04/08/2008 - 12:40

I have the FMR RNC and really like it a lot for the money. I haven't used the 266XL so I can't compare directly. The (higher priced) dbx compressors that I've used (never owned) were great, and their low end stuff that I do own is good quality for the money.

One serious drawback or advantage (depending on your equipment) is that the RNC is unbalanced. Good news if you have unbalanced connections like the insert channels on a PA (or a preamp like the FMR RNP - which I also like). Bad news if you have balanced pres and inputs to your interface.

Profile picture for user Cucco

Cucco Tue, 04/08/2008 - 12:41

If you're not familiar with the idea of unbalancing, I would suggest the dbx as the FMR only operates in unbalanced.

However, if you're comfortable with this, go for it. I think the difference is negligible at worst.

Profile picture for user hueseph

hueseph Tue, 04/08/2008 - 12:50

I own a DBX 266 XL. It is alright. Not good for everything. Balanced I/O is nice. The one thing with the DBX is that it's quite dark. That is, it adds quite a bit of colour when you use it. It also has a potential to pump quite a bit if you use a heavier setting(which I almost never use or use plugins if I have to). If I had to pick I would say both for different reasons. If I could only pick one, my head says take the FMR because it's a little more versatile but my ears say use the DBX 'cause it can add some nice "warmth". I know. Not much help.

That all being said, you might consider a DBX 166 which is the more "famous" one. For $50 more, it's probably a better buy.

Profile picture for user Link555

Link555 Tue, 04/08/2008 - 15:19

I have the DBX 266 XL. I like the sound, and find it useful on drums, guitars and smidge on vocals. I have tried it on bass. IMO opinion the 266 beats the RNC in the bass department, as low notes can sometimes disort the RNC.

Profile picture for user Davedog

Davedog Tue, 04/08/2008 - 17:20

Green apples to red apples.

I'm a DBX fan so I would go there.

As far as mastering, I wouldnt use either across an entire mix.

RemyRAD Tue, 04/08/2008 - 19:38

I have numerous DBX limiters. I like them. I wouldn't consider them mastering limiters however. And yeah, go for the 166 as I believe it's a better unit than the 266. I'm really not all that impressed with the 266, it's DBX's answer to the Beringer & Alesis cheapies. Which are all pretty much in the same realm of low-cost compressors. A great Bang for the buck either way. Certainly not peak limiters which would be important for mastering. RMS detection circuits let peak's fly through. It's the nature of the beast.

Another happy customer
Ms. Remy Ann David

hxckid88 Wed, 04/09/2008 - 17:19

I've used the RNC and it's not too bad given the price. I'd much rather choose the DBX 166 anyday (for an extra $100 get the 166 over the 266). Of course if I had the money I'd slam everything through a distressor (because everyone loves overcompression!! =p)

Kev Thu, 04/10/2008 - 15:09

that ... THAT ... chip inside the RNC was born of that old unit that DBX used

it's a longer story than all that
but
the single inline chip (SIL) could be in both units

I do like what FMR did inside the RNC and it is probably worthwhile to own an RNC if you can accomodate it being unbalanced
it really is a really nice stereo compressor that is very easy to use

I never use the RNC for track laying

so for track laying I wouldn't hesitate to use a 166
never used or cracked the lid of a 266

but
if an LA2 or an 1176 was nearby ... errr

jonyoung Fri, 04/11/2008 - 13:54

As far as mastering, I wouldnt use either across an entire mix.

I'd agree with davedog here, although I use the RNC on my mixbus when doing quick board mixes after tracking sessions, can add really nice punch if used lightly. Also it's set up as a two channel insert comp, so easy for this application. I owned a 266 but sold it, RNC is better, and you can build a box to convert balanced to unbalanced fairly easily.

malamusik Sat, 04/12/2008 - 15:27

thanks for the suggestions!

i'm gonna go with a 166 since that seems to be the one most popular suggestion and i like what i've read about it online. i'll look into something more appropriate when i'm ready to master...

thanks again!