Community forums, blogs, song critique, press & more...

New counterfeit Chinese Mics

Whatever your opinion on these, it's always useful to be able to recognise them and know what they're really like.

I always but them, when I spot them to have a look. Some new ones - with rather odd performance this time.

Decide for yourselves, and beware on Ebay - I sense these are the new SM57 and 58 flood the market types.

Comments

Profile picture for user paulears

paulears Tue, 03/10/2020 - 13:22

Well the KSM8 certainly says Shure, but yes, the SM87 just says SM87 - however, the mic clip, bag and warranty card certainly do. I suppose that without the name, clone would be more appropriate. The hum pickup is pretty unusual though isn't it.

When I first plugged it in, I'd got the monitor on and the few seconds to get across the room I figured was going to be fried HF units - but they survived!

pcrecord Wed, 03/11/2020 - 09:45

When I did my videos about the fake SM57, I say that copies are often focused more on look then parts.
In mine, there wasn't any transformer, just an unconnected capacitor that had the same color.. lol

Profile picture for user paulears

paulears Wed, 03/11/2020 - 11:55

I'd actually find a brighter 57 useful for some things - like that guitar. I think it's quite clear they can actually produce quite decent capsule, but the craziness of cutting the transformer which costs them very little is quite silly!

Profile picture for user kmetal

kmetal Wed, 03/11/2020 - 13:27

pcrecord Thu, 03/12/2020 - 05:47

kmetal, post: 463575, member: 37533 wrote: In the US there is a proposal in the House of Representatives, the Shop Safe Act, that is trying to make the E-retailers (amazon, ect) liable for counterfeit products sold on their site even thru 3rd party sellers. This could help clean things up a bit.

That would be great !!

In the mean time, common sens is required. A 20$ SM57 is too good to be true. When I bought mine (from wish) I knew I was getting a clone and I only did it to have fun and add content on my youtube channel . . .
I did the same with a MXL 990 recently.. I had a RK47 capsule laying around for a while so I figured why not experiment ! But in a normal situation, I would never have bought that mic.. ;)

Profile picture for user paulears

paulears Thu, 03/12/2020 - 05:50

Profile picture for user kmetal

kmetal Thu, 03/12/2020 - 13:59

paulears, post: 463584, member: 47782 wrote: KMetal - I always assumed Amazon were responsible for products people buy from them, even if from a 3rd party supplier - certainly that's what I think applies here in England - the seller is responsible, and I pay amazon, so they are the seller. Is US law worded so Amazon are not the seller? Certainly when you order it's not that obvious if Amazon are not the seller - and they do get the money?

The way i understand it, Amazon is not responsible for verifying that the product is not a counterfeit. They don't have to do QC on 3rd party sales.

Amazon is a middle man for 3rd party sellers. You pay amazon, they take their cut, and give the rest to the seller.

I have little doubt you could get a refund if your mic is fake, or your dissatisfied, this is the advantage of buying on Amazon vs the classified ads. But you still have to deal with the hassle. I believe sellers can be kicked off after a certain number of infractions.