Skip to main content

Mastering Nomenclature

I've been reading some mastering books and inevitably come across all kinds of subjective words like grainy, or boxy etc etc.

It would be nice if we had a glossary of terms used by MEs and a description or even audio examples of each.

Anyone know where we could find that info?



anonymous Fri, 05/25/2007 - 22:34

lol unless you actully start to mix or master these terms can only be experienced. Audio like anything else has texture. Vocals can be too thin and need some fatting up. When this term is used the vocals need a little bass or something to give them more of a presence in the mix. Sometimes its not the eq, you could have some phasing drowning out a sound. what ever the case these terms are picked up over the years of working with sound and what it does. but i did find this glossary of recording terms if this helps a little more.




Your recently read content