Skip to main content

OK...
So a friend of mine has a 002r and he had the mic preamps hot rodded to API pres. Has anyone ever heard of this. If so do you know where I could have it done? how much it cost? any of that?
Thanx, Jeremy

Topic Tags

Comments

Boswell Tue, 02/13/2007 - 07:41

Black Lion Audio in Chicago does a $450 upgrade for the 002r in which the input opamps and the digital clock are upgraded, but I've never heard of anyone shoe-horning in API discrete opamps.

On the other hand, I could imagine desperate PT owners using external API preamps in front of the line inputs of the 002r. You would get an improved noise floor like this, but whether the API sonic quality would be discernible in the result I don't know.

BobRogers Tue, 02/13/2007 - 10:39

I wonder what the BLA mod does to the resale of the 002r.... $450 is a lot cheaper than four external pres and an external clock, but...I guess I'd be more comfortable buying outboard units. Something to think about though. You really have to save a lot of money for a mod like this to make sense. Outboard units can be used when you upgrade or move to another DAW. They can be sold for pretty predictable prices. Who knows what a modified 002r is worth.

Cucco Tue, 02/13/2007 - 10:58

JDaughtry2 wrote: OK...
So a friend of mine has a 002r and he had the mic pres hot rodded to API pres. Has anyone ever heard of this. If so do you know where I could have it done? how much it cost? any of that?
Thanx, Jeremy

Never heard of this.

To actually squeeze API pres in the 002r would take up a good portion of the inside of the unit. Plus, they have a tendancy to run pretty warm.

I think he might be mistaken or blowing smoke...