Skip to main content

I'm looking for a single channel tube mic preamp for $399 or less. I know I'm asking for a lot without having to resort to a starved plate design. I don't mind shopping used if need be. It'll be used on vocals and mic'd electric guitar.

I'd love to go for the UA Solo/610, but at $800 it's a bit out of my range.

While we're here...do you have any recommendations of vintage based solidstate single channel pre's for $399 or less? I'm not really looking for an Avalon hi-fi sound.

Comments

Reggie Mon, 11/21/2005 - 12:18

I think that ART channel might be true high voltage rail tube, but don't quote me on it. Seem to remember that somehow. There are probably a lot of other trade-offs though.
But yeah, the Brick is it. They kind of marketed it weird. Who really wants to haul that thing around with them for live gigs? The local soundguy would be likely to "pfffffft" in your face. And it is kind of an eyesore/trip hazard to have laying around the stage as a DI. But it just so happened that they had a good-sounding product here, which a lot of recordists have caught on to. Even if it doesn't fit neatly into a rack. [Whatever happened to that rack-mounting idea that was kicking around here, anyway...? :wink: ]

If you don't like the Brick (especially for the money), I'll eat mine.

CoyoteTrax Mon, 11/21/2005 - 16:15

sweetwater and MF are blowing out ART MPA Gold's and Gold Digitals for $299 and $399 (respectively) right now. That's an excellent bargain for a very decent pre that allows you to not only control voltage to the plate but has a variable input impedence feature which is hella-cool.

That leaves you room to buy a few pair of really nice tubes to have handy to roll in for even more tonal options.

anonymous Mon, 11/21/2005 - 17:03

the art tps has variable control on it also, and if you talk to a art rep directly they will most likely direct you to a tps. take a look at the parts that go into the tps and gold and you will find some very interesting simliarities. At least that is what my art rep told me when i was looking at the mpa gold
hope that helps

x

User login