Skip to main content

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times before, I've been reading posts for about an hour and have run across tons of opinions and suggestions, but its all starting to run together, so I thought I'd go ahead and make a post.

I'm looking for a mic preamp for $300-$400, I know thats not a very high level pre, but its all I can afford now and I would like to upgrade from I have now. I want just a pre, no compression, EQ etc.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Topic Tags

Comments

CoyoteTrax Sun, 09/11/2005 - 20:18

The Electro Harmonix 12AY7 Mic Pre is $189 and IMO is an incredible bargain. That's just one channel though, so you're talking almost $400 for 2 channels. Not a bad deal. It's got focus, wonderful color and allows enough transients through to provide a nice dimension. A very nice quality signal in my opinion.

frob Tue, 09/13/2005 - 13:11

one can not record on specs alone...

true the brick is verry colored but for that price the only transpatenr mic pre that i would recomend would be somthing like a makie vlz-pro, you can get a 1604 for that mutch second hand some times. but if you want somehting better i would go with the uhhhhhh after all thouse parities ive for gotten the real name.

k/c. ;)