Skip to main content

thanx

Topic Tags

Comments

Jon Best Thu, 08/16/2001 - 18:27

Originally posted by blake eat world:
seriously, if i only had one mic to make an album with i'd use a 57 regardless of what i had.

I'd probably use either a really good small diaphragm cardioid, or an RE20.

Reminds me of when a friend of mine and I decided to put together a song with one mic, but still mic everything the 'standard' way- i.e., mic the kick, play it, mic the snare, play it, etc, etc. It was fun, and sounded like shit.

anonymous Mon, 09/03/2001 - 17:07

you don't even own a 57 at the moment?

...first thing you need if you're gonna be recording is a 57, then build from there. Probably go for a AKG D112 next depending on the style of music, it's another extremely well made mic. then a pair of small diaphragms (recommend Neumann KM184's). Then a large diaphragm(don't skimp on this mic, and find the color that you like).

anonymous Fri, 09/07/2001 - 17:46

To be honest Teacher, I would stay away from the dynamic mics (shure sm-57, etc.), if you are primarily going to record vocals only. Are you using sequenced music or are you recording drums, guitar, etc.?. The Audio Technica mics like the 4033 and 4047 mentioned earlier are very good value for the money, they are condensor mics which are far superior for vocal applications. The sm-57 is an excellent mic if you need a workhorse mic, but not the best for vocals.

anonymous Sun, 10/21/2001 - 07:37

I have to agree with the SM57 crowd. I was just starting to equip my multimedia group when I went shopping for mics, mostly for v/o work. I bought a variety including re20s, SM7s, TLM103s and several SM57s. I had no previous knowledge of the SM57 or its reputation before I bought them.

Upon hearing the results after the first use I couldn't believe it! The richness and clarity was incredible. Such quality from such a little, inexpensive mic! It's hard to resist the bias to use the more expensive mics in certain situations but I keep coming back to my Shure workhorses that I know won't let me down.

Believe your ears!

Scott Gould Wed, 10/24/2001 - 15:30

For just slightly (like $20) over $500, I suggest trying out the ADK a51TC tube mic. I haven't compared it with the current crop of sub $500 condensers, but I have tried it side by side with several much more expensive ones, & it more than holds its own. Aside from the ADC I can recommend the AKG C4000B, EV PL20 (RE20), Audio Technica 4033 & 4050 and perhaps a Beyerdynamic ribbon like the M260 or M130. All excellent vocal mics, but individual voices sometimes demand non-traditional mic choices. If you have the availability, I'd get a couple of the singers you work - or expect to work - with and go audition as many of them as you can, rather than just buying "blind".
Scott

faganking Fri, 10/26/2001 - 17:44

The best thing I've done for my *clients* was to buy and use an SM-7 on vocals. I own a few great mics; David Bock's U95S, 2 Royer ribbon's, AT4050's, AKG414EB, KM84, Studio Projects C-1, blah, blah. Every man, woman and child who has sung into the SM-7 simply "loved" it. I believe they tend to 'forget about the mic' very quickly and just sing. A very large mic hanging in your face can be a little intimidating. The SM-7 is a great snare mic as well.
Benjy

regisfunk Mon, 10/29/2001 - 07:19

For pop vocals? SE Electronics 5000. $299 for this cheap-ass, large diaphragm tube mic. I've recommended it to numerous people. It's a chinese capsule mic. But as somebody said earlier in this thread, 'trust your ears.' If you do just that, you will find this mic to be an outstanding value for vocals. And just to stir up the bees nest a bit, I have 2 SM-57's among my 15 or so mics (including brauner, royer, Neumann). These days, the 57's don't get used much. I even quit using them on snare, and my snare tracks improved noticeably. Maybe I need new 57's? OH well, differen't strokes for different folks (no I don't want to sell them, either).

CS

e-cue Tue, 10/30/2001 - 22:54

If you follow e-cue's theory of rap mic's under the $500 range, then you will see that the first number in any group of polygonal numbers is always 1, or a point. The second number is equal to the number of vertexes of the polygon. For example, the second pentagonal number is 5, since pentagons have 5 vertexes (and sides). The third polygonal number is made by extending two of the sides of the polygon from the second polygonal number, completing the larger polygon, and placing vertexes and other points where necessary. The third polygonal number is found by adding all the vertexes and points in the resulting figure. The Shi-Cheng formula for the nth x-gonal number (for example: the 2nd 3-gonal, or triangular number) is:
If x is even, then:
y = x/2 - 1 and the formula is n+y(n2-n)
If x is odd, then:
y = (x-1)/2 and the formula is (-(n2)+3n+2n2y-2ny)/2
These formulas work fine, but I think my own formula (the e-cue formula) is much less convoluted, and is based on the fact that to find the nth x-gonal number, you multiply the number in the 3rd diagonal in the nth row by x-2, and then add the number in that same row but in the 2nd diagonal. Therefore:
((n2-n)/2) ¥ (x-2) + n
or as we say in the skreets, get an SM58, it's probably the most versitle.

anonymous Thu, 11/01/2001 - 06:41

regisfunk
What have you been using for snare lately?

I too have started to become a little fussy about the 57 on snare. Always seems to need more EQ than I wish to apply. Tried a EV PL-5 last week, but it really wasn't what I was looking for at the time. It too needed much EQ, IMHO. Ended up with the 57 on the shell. EQ'ed of course. :roll:

I'm not against EQ on the way in by the way. What ever works, works. Just looking for options.

Dan-O

anonymous Thu, 11/08/2001 - 00:57

Hi,

besides the dynamic classics such as the 57 and D112, I am very impressed by the Rode NT1. I haven't been all too satisfied with the way my overheads sounded lately - had a week off in the studio and did some extensive tests. I used AKG C1000 S, MB 660, At 4033 and Rode NT 1 (all in the under 500$ range). The Rode was the clear winner on overheads - very nice silky highs, much more than any of the others but not overhyped in any way - just sounded very impressive. Also the snare and bass sounded best over the overheads with the NT 1. It's also a great mic for acoustic guitars and female vocals. For male vocals I'd prefer the AT 4033 though.

Best,

UTS

monty teebaum Fri, 11/09/2001 - 10:54

Originally posted by UTS:
Hi,

besides the dynamic classics such as the 57 and D112, I am very impressed by the Rode NT1. I haven't been all too satisfied with the way my overheads sounded lately - had a week off in the studio and did some extensive tests. I used AKG C1000 S, MB 660, At 4033 and Rode NT 1 (all in the under 500$ range). The Rode was the clear winner on overheads - very nice silky highs, much more than any of the others but not overhyped in any way - just sounded very impressive. Also the snare and bass sounded best over the overheads with the NT 1. It's also a great mic for acoustic guitars and female vocals. For male vocals I'd prefer the AT 4033 though.

Best,

UTS
i tested 12 mics a view days ago & the rode was ok, but not great. the cheapest mic who everybody at the test like was the Neumann tlm103. the akg414 have a different taste, but is also a nice mic. the other 2 great mic's are the nevaton 51 & mnevaton mc416. all this mic's cost about $800, but the soundquality is a different class & this mic's you also will love in 10 years, when you mabye have many other mic's, 'cause they still will be great mic's & not "a cheap shity mic from the time, i had no money for a good one".
if you like the sound of rode, take the ntk, the mids are a bit liveless & about 2kHz the mic have a little bit hard sound, its not a Neumann, but its ok & for shure a better solution than a c3000b or some china-mics (some of them sounds good, but just some...)

anonymous Fri, 11/09/2001 - 15:11

Originally posted by monty teebaum:

i tested 12 mics a view days ago (some of them sounds good, but just some...)

Please, could you make a list of the 12 mics you tested (with price indications), and then tell us your top12 list... I'm curious... Did something similair a couple of months ago... See how you rank them?!

monty teebaum Sat, 11/10/2001 - 10:36

Originally posted by gie:

Please, could you make a list of the 12 mics you tested (with price indications), and then tell us your top12 list... I'm curious... Did something similair a couple of months ago... See how you rank them?!
there is a other thread "12 mics testet...", you can download the files at
http://www.biobonsai.com/echochamber/miktest.htm
send me your ranking, then i send you the names behind the numbers :)
end of november i write the names of the mics on my page & release the rating.

regisfunk Tue, 11/13/2001 - 22:19

Originally posted by Dan-O:
regisfunk
What have you been using for snare lately?

I too have started to become a little fussy about the 57 on snare. Always seems to need more EQ than I wish to apply. Tried a EV PL-5 last week, but it really wasn't what I was looking for at the time. It too needed much EQ, IMHO. Ended up with the 57 on the shell. EQ'ed of course. :roll:

I'm not against EQ on the way in by the way. What ever works, works. Just looking for options.

Dan-O

Dan-O,

I'm still experimenting with snare mics, but I have found both the Audix D1 and the AKG-D3400 to be superior to the 57 in terms of a fatter 'thwack' with less eq, and most importantly, less hat bleed. The AKG mics are stubby little dynamics (actually they are kind of big) that I picked up on sale for very cheap. They turned out to be really cool for guitar amps and snares, kind of like a 57, but to my ears, more fatter (skuze my grammar) :-). A nice smooth middle, not too bright up top, but enough there to work with. My particular 57's just seem too upper-mid-rangy-yet-dull-high-end for most things.

CS

anonymous Wed, 11/14/2001 - 03:17

Lots of useable mics in the under $500 range... a few of my favorites (in no particular order):

SM57 - if you can't record it with a '57, it can't be recorded. 8th wonder of the world stuff here.

Audix D2 - I really like 'em on toms.

Sennheiser MD421 - another great tom mic, also great for some vocals, gtr cabs, kick and horns.

E/V RE20 - My favorite kick mic - short of a U47 FET that is... :) The A/T ATM25 is similar, but costs less. But I'd feel short changed in the gear dept if I didn't have at least one RE20 to use.

A/T 4047 - probably my favorite A/T mic.

Rode NTK - sounds much better than the price would have you believe. Even after using one of my Tele ELA M 251's or my SP C-414 EB, this mic doesn't make me want to gag - that's saying a LOT.

Oktava MC012 - one of my favorite sm. diaphram condensers - IF you get a good one.

Can't comment on the Studio Projects mics - I still have not tried one... but the two Marshalls I heard sounded pretty sad to me.

anonymous Wed, 11/14/2001 - 13:15

regisfunk

"My particular 57's just seem too upper-mid-rangy-yet-dull-high-end for most things."

Yes, I completely agree. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Audix D1 you say. I had the opportunity to use some Audix mics on a session not to long ago. I was very surprised at the "crispness" of these mics on the toms. I didn't try the D1, but I will now. The AKG's also sound promising.

Any experience with Beyer stuff like the M422? I've heard the M160 can be interesting on snare as well.

I noticed that Phil O'Keefe mentioned the Audix mics for toms in his post and I agree. He also mentioned the Octiva 012's. I have a pair and love them on toms!

Thanks for your insights.

Dan-O

regisfunk Wed, 11/14/2001 - 14:38

Audix D1 you say. I had the opportunity to use some Audix mics on a session not to long ago. I was very surprised at the "crispness" of these mics on the toms. I didn't try the D1, but I will now. The AKG's also sound promising.

[/QB]

Dan-O:

I haven't had a chance to try very many beyers on the snare, but I often use a Beyer TGX-50 for kick, and it absolutely rocks. A great alternative to a D-112. Much better, to my ears, especially for that older fatter kick drum sound.
I'm going to have to try a beyer on snare, such as the ones suggested here. Somebody mentioned the Rode NTK as a good under-500 mic. I totally agree. I was pleasantly surprised by the sound of this large di mic. And I was never a huge fan of the Nt2. This is definitely not an NT2 sound. It's creamier?

CS

anonymous Wed, 11/14/2001 - 14:46

Han

I have not tried a 441 on snare, though that's a great idea. I'm sure the sound must be very focused due to the supercardioid pattern. I would also imagine that you could mic it pretty high off the top head as well without an obnoxious amount bleed. That sounds very cool to me.

I'm interested in the Beyer stuff a lot. I have found the Beyer stuff to be "natural" in tone. The color is somewhat subtle to my ears.

Thank you for these recommendations. Please keep them coming.

Dan-O

anonymous Wed, 11/14/2001 - 15:03

regisfunk

TGX-50!! Rocks! Agreed. For a bass amp too, if needed. Use one all the time.

NTK... I own two. Fantastic. Didn't like any of the NT models. I own a Classic as well. Just fabulous.

One thing about the NTK's. I'm a huge believer in the quality of the tube in a tube circuit. The NTK's come with Sovtek's which I don't happen to be a fan of. (They are getting better though) I replaced the tubes with some NOS (6922 Seimans) ones and trust me, the mic takes on a whole new life. NO JOKE!
This is an easy "mod" if you will, and makes the NTK the un-beatable deal out their right now. IMHO

Dan-O

regisfunk Wed, 11/14/2001 - 19:29

regisfunk

TGX-50!! Rocks! Agreed. For a bass amp too, if needed. Use one all the time.

Well, Dan-O, we certainly have a similar taste in mics. I have a feeling you would really dig the SE Electronics 5000 tube mic, alongside the NTK (not that one would need both mics in their arsenal...too similar). It ain't as sturdy (or as beautiful) in outward appearance, but a stunning bargain at $299, and by some accounts, a tad smoother. I know, I know, I've already pumped that mic here, but it just plain kicks butt for the money. A very 'classic' tube sound from this disgustingly cheap-ass offering.

CS

anonymous Thu, 11/15/2001 - 10:33

regisfunk

Yes, it seems we do have similar taste in mic's. I'll have to give the SE Electronics a listen.

CyanJaguar

I do not have any audio examples to A/B for you unfortunately.

As far as the tube goes, let me first say that the NTK is just fine the way it ships.
The day I received mine I did some vocal tracking with it. I never touched the EQ much. It sat right were it needed to be right from the start. Just dynamics and a touch of verb. So a tube change isn't a necessity.

But, as far as the NOS tube change goes, that's is a personal preference. Even with the EQ curving going on in almost all IC designs, I hear a difference when an NOS tube is put in.

Sovtek tubes have a slight brittleness to them that I don't care for. The West German tubes I put in are known for definition, as well as, even coloration. A "creamier" tone I guess. Very sharply defined, but smooth. The NTK reponded very well to the change. Mark of a good design in my book. The bump at 5k in the NTK sounds silkier. Not punched. The low end sounds present and tighter as well.

Again this is MHO. It's what I hear. I do a lot of tube changing in my equipment with great benefit I feel.

Dan-O

BTW, I read a post by someone joking about an underwater mic. I have one. It was advertized as a fishermans aid. I guess you were supposed to hear where the fish are or something like that. Anyway, great for underwater vocals!

And as for Fisher Price, I have one of those too. My 21/2 year old daughter has a blast with it. You tune it into a FM reciver frequency.

O